Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

A different kind of media streaming server

Discussion in 'General Server' started by sssnek, Oct 26, 2017.

1. sssnek

sssnek New Member

Hello everyone,

So I've been trying to maintain a server for the past couple of weeks and have finally
    given up and decided to come to You guys for help.

I've set up a Lubuntu server that upon boot launches VLC to play a radio stream.
    The problem occurs after a couple of hours when the sound stops working;
    restarting the stream or VLC doesn't work. MPV also gives no output.

Instead of checking the log files and digging deeper into this particular problem,
    I'm planning on doing a full reinstall of the server for multiple other reasons, too.

Which distribution should I use? Should install Debian? Should I use mpv over VLC?
    How should I rig the script to run on boot? Do I even need to start X?
    Should I somehow preload the stream and play it with latency?

How would You do this?

#1 sssnek, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. sssnek

sssnek New Member

First of all, I'd like to kindly thank everyone for helping me out on this issue.
    The battle was hard, but I couldn't have made it without Your guys help. Thank you.

Second of all, I installed Debian and set up mpv to run inside a tmux session.
    Mpv probably saved the day since it buffers the stream and then plays it.

Over a month of uptime so far.

I'll probably set up a couple of scripts to keep things in place to reset mpv
    in case it stops playing for whatever reason.

Greetsss

atanere likes this.
  3. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Hi @sssnek, and a belated welcome to the forums! I'm sorry that your original post went unanswered for the past few months. I don't recall that I saw it back then, but it is certainly possible that if I did, I might have let it go without a response because your issue was way over my head. At any rate, I am happy that you found the solution you needed, and I hope you'll return here to help others with your skills.

Cheers