Zoom and Linux

snwcmpr

Reaction score
Credits
1st post here. Everyone starts here at some time, right?

I need Zoom every day. I installed Ubuntu and then Mint.
Zoom has two issues I cannot find a fix for. They are present in both of the forementioned.

1) When a person unmutes or raises their hand I am used to them being moved to the front page. As in, the 1st 25 on the screen. Their name is put at the top of participants list also
This serves a purpose other than convenience. I helps me to locate and remove a bomber.
2) A minor inconvenience, the chat does not scroll. So I cannot see below the 2nd line of text in chat.

I downloaded SUSE last night and will try that version of Zoom.

I cannot find this as a problem/solution anywhere. My search-FU is usually very good.
Any suggestions?

I used Linux 20+ years ago, have used it a bit off and on, and my wife has been using Ubuntu for months now and is happy.

Maybe the Zoom Help Center will help.

You can also try using Zoom on an Android phone or tablet if you have one.

Thank you for the reply.
Being a host while on a phone or tablet is less than optimal. Listening, or watching is no problem on a small device. I guess it is sort of like programming. Possible is not optimal.

Update, OpenSUSE version of Zoom is broken.
I tried to load it in the KDE and the Gnome version. A quick search shows the Zoom needs tweaking to work in OpenSUSE.
I downloaded from Zoom, and repeated it several times.

With no more replies I can assume that the Linux support for Zoom is lacking.

What I use Zoom for is a thing very helpful to people and especially for those stuck at home during these troubled times.

Thanks,
Ken

With no more replies I can assume that the Linux support for Zoom is lacking.

What I use Zoom for is a thing very helpful to people and especially for those stuck at home during these troubled times.

Thanks,
Ken
Most people here mostly run opensource software so won't be able to help you with your problem so I am not suprised you haven't gotten more replies. I use teams for work and have only been in a zoom call with a handful of people so have never come across the first problem and never bothered to notice if the chat scrolls or not, I'd advise you to contact the Official Zoom Support if you want these problems solved since Zoom is proprietary software and all we can advise you to do is change settings but since none here have extended experience with Zoom that's going to be hard while Zoom Support will have in depth knowledge of the software they wrote so they should be able to help you or figure out the issue.

Last edited:
Thank you. That make sense.

And because it is proprietary might explain my other problem dealing with this.
Zoom will not support me unless I pay for the 'non-free' version. I tried that.
I have a friend with an upgraded version, I will ask him to ask for support on that issue.

Again, thank you,
Ken
"Spending more time searching here than writing/posting"

Looks like Zoom is coming out with a new version soon
some fixes listed for Linux is
Raise hand for host and co-host
Hosts and co-hosts can utilize the raise hand feature along with meeting participants and webinar attendees.

Members online