Wine reinstallation force me to deinstall ubuntu-desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installing from ubuntu-22.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso with gui already installed during installation and then installing your packages shouldn't make any difference in the end result, because in the end the same packages are installed. In case you don't believe me, I will do that now.
As predicted, that results in the same after I install your package list because it only then installs the ones that need to be installed and all the ones that had to do with the gui were already installed.

I still think what I mentioned in post #36 should still work even though it may be officially seen as a work around.

I have decided, to test all during Ubuntu 24.04 upgrade.

I hope, you will have a look on it, I am going to document it, install wine, remove it, reinstall, and if the message will come again : "ubuntu-destop" shall be removed, I will do it.

1. Install wine.
Code:
sudo apt install wine
2. When it asks to remove the following packages press "y".
Code:
fuse2fs mesa-vulkan-drivers ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal uuid-runtime xorg
3. After wine is installed, reinstall those same packages again.
Code:
sudo apt install fuse2fs mesa-vulkan-drivers ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal uuid-runtime xorg
4. Check if wine is installed.
Code:
dpkg --list | grep wine

Would be curious to know if that works for you.

I have understand you, but you reflect on a not "problem system".

I have understand you, but you reflect on a not "problem system".
The process of installing and removing packages should still work the same, so those steps should work. But it would be interesting to know what happens when you do it on the system that start removing those list of packages when installing wine.

What you are doing by following those steps is basically doing what your system is asking for you to install wine, but the reinstalling those same packages afterwards. If for example when you try to reinstall those packages it starts saying that it will remove wine, then you know there is still a problem elsewhere. If not and those packages install successfully and wine remains on your system you have a working wine again.

Install Wine on Ubuntu 22.04

If your system is 64 bit, enable 32 bit architecture

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Download and add the repository key:

sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings
sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

Update the package information:

sudo apt update

Stable branch

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Developmental Branch

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel

3 pages and still no joy.

Might be simpler to go back to windows.

Or at the very least dual boot

What is it in windows that necessitates using wine?

I wonder how I got this windoze only software to run on Linux Mint...
1707782525448.png

See post 7. ;)
m1203.gif

Nice to see, that stupid people are over the world, and does not depend on an OPS.

Please read all above !
I did

sudo apt install wine
The following packages will be removed :
fuse2fs libgl1-amber-dri mesa-vulkan-drivers ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal uuid-runtime xorg
I did not confirm it to install wine
From my side of view something must be wrong.
Package Ubuntu-desktop must be removed to install wine ????

If you followed what I posted #47 this would not have happened, removal of many unrelated files is the installation of a package that is not multi-arch compatible. This can happen if you have installed packages from a PPA; generally packages from the standard or universe repositories should not cause this problem. That some drivers need and hence it wanted to remove them because it is not compatible even if they have nothing to do with Wine - besides your only going to get version 6 you have to do that manually

wine:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 6.0.3~repack-1
Version table:
6.0.3~repack-1 500
500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64 Packages
500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe i386 Packages

When version 9 is out - see the below

I did

sudo apt install wine
The following packages will be removed :
fuse2fs libgl1-amber-dri mesa-vulkan-drivers ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal uuid-runtime xorg
I did not confirm it to install wine
From my side of view something must be wrong.
Package Ubuntu-desktop must be removed to install wine ????

If you followed what I posted #47 this would not have happened, removal of many unrelated files is the installation of a package that is not multi-arch compatible. This can happen if you have installed packages from a PPA; generally packages from the standard or universe repositories should not cause this problem. That some drivers need and hence it wanted to remove them because it is not compatible even if they have nothing to do with Wine - besides your only going to get version 6 you have to do that manually

wine:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 6.0.3~repack-1
Version table:
6.0.3~repack-1 500
500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64 Packages
500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe i386 Packages

When version 9 is out - see the below

I am sorry, but I did as you indicated, what you want to do now ?

From my side of view, the indications of

f33dm3bits

and beneath, of me give sense.

OPS = Operating System (I am sorry, not to had the abbreviation ad hoc, but some answers lead to an not considered answer)

@Condobloke,

let us see, whether this is possible by Windows :

#!/bin/bash

while IFS= read -r -d $'\0' video
do
filename=$(basename -- "$video")
filename="${filename%.*}"

ffmpeg -y -i "$video" -vcodec libx264 -crf 51 -preset ultrafast -acodec copy -f mp4 -movflags frag_keyframe+empty_moov+delay_moov pipe:1 >/dev/null 2>"${filename}.txt" </dev/null
TxtFileName="${filename}.txt"

done < <(find -iregex ".*\.\(mp4\|mkv\|m2ts\|ts\)" -print0)
#dos2unix -c mac "${TxtFileName}"
#grep -C 5 -i -n 'error\|duplicate\|failure' "${TxtFileName}"
grep -i -n 'error\|duplicate\|failure\|missing' "${TxtFileName}"
echo "Ready"
read pause

It is not not an either Or, it is an use of both, as possible.

Or it is an Either Or, to use only the mouse or the keyboard.

"He did program with the mouse ..." yes of course with some help of ctrl+insert, shift+insert ...

Copy + paste, the best way, or to speak with Shakespeare : "It is all ways a sign of mediocre, not to copy"

Last edited:
Nice to see, that stupid people are over the world, and does not depend on an OPS.

At least I didn't claim...Wine reinstall forced me to uninstall my Desktop.
m1814.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online