Wine reinstallation force me to deinstall ubuntu-desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
sudo apt autoremove --simulate
sudo apt autoremove --simulate
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
apt-cache policy wine
apt-cache policy wine
wine:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 6.0.3~repack-1
Version table:
6.0.3~repack-1 500
500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64 Packages
500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe i386 Packages
sudo aptitude install wine
sudo aptitude install wine
The following NEW packages will be installed:
fonts-wine{a} libcapi20-3{a} libfaudio0{a} libodbc2{a} libstb0{a} libvkd3d1{a} libwine{a} libz-mingw-w64{a} wine
wine64{a}
0 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 85.1 MB of archives. After unpacking 562 MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y

After installation, wine does miss "i386 Packages", and if I install this packages, I will get again the "ubuntu-desktop" issue.

The downgrade description of https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2466802
will not be a solution for me.

It seems, my first deinstallation did remove something what is essential for wine, but will be via reinstallation not reflected by the system.

Doesn't give show much. Can you still run the following and share the output?
Code:
sudo apt --simulate install wine
It seems, my first deinstallation did remove something what is essential for wine, but will be via reinstallation not reflected by the system.
Can you check in /var/log/dpkg.log what packages does were, so I can experiment with those on my system to see what happens? And something else that could be useful if you shared your command history of all the commands your ran with "apt" when you removed packages from your system.
Code:
history | grep apt | grep remove

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libfuse2 x11-apps x11-session-utils xbitmaps xinit
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
fonts-wine libcapi20-3 libfaudio0 libodbc2 libstb0 libvkd3d1 libwine libz-mingw-w64 wine64
Suggested packages:
odbc-postgresql tdsodbc gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad ttf-mscorefonts-installer q4wine winbind winetricks playonlinux
wine-binfmt dosbox exe-thumbnailer | kio-extras wine64-preloader
Recommended packages:
libosmesa6 libvkd3d-shader1 wine32
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libfuse2 x11-apps x11-session-utils xbitmaps xinit
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
fonts-wine libcapi20-3 libfaudio0 libodbc2 libstb0 libvkd3d1 libwine libz-mingw-w64 wine64
Suggested packages:
odbc-postgresql tdsodbc gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad ttf-mscorefonts-installer q4wine winbind winetricks playonlinux
wine-binfmt dosbox exe-thumbnailer | kio-extras wine64-preloader
Recommended packages:
libosmesa6 libvkd3d-shader1 wine32
The following packages will be REMOVED:
fuse2fs mesa-vulkan-drivers ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal uuid-runtime xorg

The following NEW packages will be installed:
fonts-wine libcapi20-3 libfaudio0 libodbc2 libstb0 libvkd3d1 libwine libz-mingw-w64 wine wine64
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Remv fuse2fs [1.46.5-2ubuntu1.1]
Remv mesa-vulkan-drivers [23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1~22.04.2]
Remv ubuntu-desktop [1.481.2]
Remv ubuntu-desktop-minimal [1.481.2]
Remv uuid-runtime [2.37.2-4ubuntu3.2]
Remv xorg [1:7.7+23ubuntu2]
Inst fonts-wine (6.0.3~repack-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [all])
Inst libstb0 (0.0~git20210910.af1a5bc+ds-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Inst libfaudio0 (22.02-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Inst libodbc2 (2.3.9-5 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Inst libvkd3d1 (1.1-5 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Inst libz-mingw-w64 (1.2.11+dfsg-4 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [all])
Inst libwine (6.0.3~repack-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Inst wine64 (6.0.3~repack-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Inst wine (6.0.3~repack-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [all])
Inst libcapi20-3 (1:3.27-3 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Conf fonts-wine (6.0.3~repack-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [all])
Conf libstb0 (0.0~git20210910.af1a5bc+ds-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Conf libfaudio0 (22.02-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Conf libodbc2 (2.3.9-5 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Conf libvkd3d1 (1.1-5 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Conf libz-mingw-w64 (1.2.11+dfsg-4 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [all])
Conf libwine (6.0.3~repack-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Conf wine64 (6.0.3~repack-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])
Conf wine (6.0.3~repack-1 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [all])
Conf libcapi20-3 (1:3.27-3 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy [amd64])

history of all the commands your ran with "apt" when you removed packages from your system.
I did not removed any packages with apt, except wine via synaptic.

/var/log/dpkg.log
Please refer to the attachments. Currently I check the log1, my system new installed (Xubuntu deleted, Ubuntu installed) on 2024-01-27.
Will be followed by installation of I386 Packages, please refer to log1, Line number 17519.

82 sudo apt autoremove
124 suso apt autoremove
125 sudo apt autoremove
315 sudo apt autoremove
320 sudo apt autoremove
327 sudo apt autoremove
403 sudo apt autoremove
407 sudo apt autoremove
431 sudo apt autoremove --simulate
448 sudo apt autoremove
450 sudo apt autoremove
482 history | grep apt | grep remove

Attachments

• dpkg.log.txt
    101.7 KB · Views: 67
  • dpkg.log.1.txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
Thanks! I just finished working and just poured myself a glass of wine. Let me just try some things out, will see how far I get this evening. If I don't get far this evening, I will continue and reply tomorrow. Even I need my free time after work, before having to work again the next day.

Last edited:
I did check the installation sequence.
1. New Installation
2. wine installed
3. Automatically Ubuntu upgrade (e.g.: mesa-vulkan-drivers)

It seems to me, that the Ubuntu-Upgrade "has nothing against former installed i386 packages".

3. Automatically Ubuntu upgrade (e.g.: mesa-vulkan-drivers)
Do you mean you just updated all the packages to the most recent version available for 22.04?

I actually just tried something on my test vm, I ran the following on the packages you listed that apt said it would remove.
Code:
sudo apt remove fuse2fs mesa-vulkan-drivers ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal uuid-runtime xorg
Then it just removed those packages and not all of it's dependencies. I checked to see what would happen if I ran, "sudo apt autoremove", then it would automatically remove all the dependencies of those packages.

So if you want a quick solution, my idea would be to just run "sudo apt install wine", then accept it when it wants to remove those packages. It should then install wine for you and not straight away remove those dependencies, after which you can install the list of those packages again.
Code:
sudo apt install fuse2fs mesa-vulkan-drivers ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal uuid-runtime xorg
Then restart restart the gdm service.
Code:
sudo systemctl restart gdm
Then enter your credentials and see if you can can login.

If for some reason when you install wine and all the dependencies are removed when you remove those listed packages by pressing "y", then your whole desktop environment will be removed. If that does happen you can still switch to another tty using "ctrl+alt+f3" and login there. Then you can use apt to install those listed packages again and it should reinstall all the removed dependencies.

I hope this helps, that's the best I can do for you, because there is no way I have been able to replicate your situation, neither when having installed those packages listed in your dpkg.log.1 file.

Let me know what happens and if you run into something. We should be able to get wine installed again and have a working desktop.

I am going to install Ubuntu 24.04 in April/May.
It is a good time, to check after a clean installation whether wine installation/removing leads to the same behavior as described above.
And in this case it would be no problem to test something (reinstallation of Ubuntu will be all ways possible)
But now, I must confess, to remove ubuntu-desktop, I can not agree (it is a bit equal to the movie "Flatliner").
Refer also to https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2023/01/install-wine-on-ubuntu ,
there is explicit ubuntu-desktop named.

But now, I must confess, to remove ubuntu-desktop, I can not agree (it is a bit equal to the movie "Flatliner").
Refer also to https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2023/01/install-wine-on-ubuntu ,
there is explicit ubuntu-desktop named.
It's up to you. My point being anything that can be removed can be reinstalled, including those packages and it's dependencies if those dependencies were to be removed. Yes you can reinstall with 24.04 when that comes out but it will be a different version as well as for the rest of the packages that come with that new version. Since I'm not having that same issue on my test system when installing wine, it seems to be something specific to your system or specific package. That reminds me, can you send me a file with a list of all the packages installed, on your system?
Code:
dpkg --list > pkglist
That way I can try and install those on my test vm and see if when reinstall those same packages and can get into the same situation as you with wine.

You could als just try to add the official wine-hq repo to your system to see if that version of wine doesn't remove your desktop environment, that way you would still be able to install wine and if it does install without removing your desktop environment we could come to the conclusion there is something that causes a bug in one of the packages.

dpkg --list > pkglist
Please refer to the attachement.

WineHQ I did try, got the following error described here : https://askubuntu.com/questions/150...hq-stable-dependent-wine-stable-9-0-0-0-0jamm

Did as described by Daniel T, with the result some dependencies can not be solved :
sudo apt install wine-stable:i386
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
e2fsprogs : PreDepends: libblkid1 (>= 2.36) but it is not installable
PreDepends: libuuid1 (>= 2.16) but it is not installable
Recommends: e2fsprogs-l10n but it is not going to be installed
init : PreDepends: systemd-sysv
shim-signed : Depends: sbsigntool but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: secureboot-db but it is not going to be installed
util-linux : PreDepends: libblkid1 (>= 2.37.2) but it is not installable
PreDepends: libmount1 (>= 2.37.2) but it is not installable
PreDepends: libuuid1 (>= 2.16) but it is not installable
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Attachments

• pkglist.txt
    272.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Even with your same packages installed I am not having trouble with wine. Can you also share these these files.
  • /etc/apt/sources.list
  • /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* (So the ones that are in this directory)

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/* (So the ones that are in this directory)
empty, as recommended by "Ask-Ubuntu".

My first wine installation on the new system, no problem, but after wine removed and again installed, since then, I have the problems (please refer to the description above).

Attachments

• sources.list.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 67
I also did install wine on another system (Xubuntu 22.04), removed wine and tried to install wine again.
I had a list of 1.2GB to install (most i386), but nothing like xorg will be removed, as on my "problem system".

I installed a Ubuntu 22.04 system without gui, after which I added your sources file and then install your full packages list. However still no issues installing the wine package, which you are having with your problem system.

Only other thing I can think of that it's a specific version maybe causing a problem.
Have you tried updating your sources and then updating your system, first remove the ppa winehq file from
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-jammy.sources.
Code:
sudo apt  update
sudo apt upgrade
Then try installing wine again.

sudo apt upgrade
Calculating upgrade... Done
Get more security updates through Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled:
vlc-plugin-qt libvlc5 vlc-data libvlccore9 vlc vlc-bin vlc-l10n
libavdevice58 ffmpeg libpostproc55 vlc-plugin-samba libavcodec58
vlc-plugin-notify libavutil56 libswscale5 vlc-plugin-access-extra
vlc-plugin-skins2 vlc-plugin-video-splitter libswresample3
vlc-plugin-video-output libavformat58 libvlc-bin vlc-plugin-base
vlc-plugin-visualization libavfilter7
Learn more about Ubuntu Pro at https://ubuntu.com/pro
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I am on top.

I am on top.
Then no idea what it could be. From my testing as what I described before, removing those packages won't uninstall their dependencies, as long as you don't run "apt autoremove". Then after they are removed you can install wine and then install the packages(ubuntu-desktop, etc.) you removed again.

It even says so in the man page. So
autoremove (apt-get(8))
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed as dependencies changed or the package(s) needing them were removed in the meantime.
I would still try that to see if you are able to install wine then. Even if for some reason you were to get locked out of your graphical session, you can always switch to another tty where you can login from there to reinstall something.

It's what I would do if I were in your situation, since nothing else seems to point to anything.

I installed a Ubuntu 22.04 system without gui, after which I added your sources file and then install your full packages list. However still no issues installing the wine package, which you are having with your problem system.

Perhaps, you did remove the problem, via "without gui".

Perhaps, further investigation, GUI "against" I386 packages, will be needed to find the problem.

Perhaps, you did remove the problem, via "without gui".

Perhaps, further investigation, GUI "against" I386 packages, will be needed to find the problem.
That won't be any different because I did that so that I knew for sure, I had only the same packages as you installed. Installing from ubuntu-22.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso with gui already installed during installation and then installing your packages shouldn't make any difference in the end result, because in the end the same packages are installed. In case you don't believe me, I will do that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online