Windows going full cloud? Thank you Linux!

Corporations often replace their computers fairly regularly. I wonder how these costs stack up against that? I am assuming this means they could keep their existing computers longer. It may come out to be cheaper in the long run, especially if they can go with just a bunch of thin clients.

I am not advocating doing this, I'm just mulling over the logistics
Now there's something I didn't even think about.
I'm not about to even attempt the math, but I'm betting you're probably correct!

Now there's something I didn't even think about.

My company was mid-size and we licensed about 250 seats worth of Windows licensing. Just to ensure compliance, we did so through a third party rather than deal with figuring out the CALs ourselves.

We paid for software that was as much as $25k per seat, per year. Licensing software was a legal minefield and outlandishly expensive. Adhering to the letter of the contract was tedious and required expensive person-hours.

Heck, I realize this sounds archaic - though companies still do so today (as I was a bit surprised to find out a few months ago when I decided to look it up) - but we used to pay really good money for a compiler. Yeah, we paid to compile software.

There are companies out there paying for six-digit Windows Pro licenses, as in they have more than 100,000 seats that they're paying for. That adds up. That adds up quickly. Then, they're paying for umpteen server licenses. Just managing this licensing requires a full team of full-time employees.

We live in the Linux world. So, we don't even give this stuff a second thought. When we want software, we just go get it. We may eschew proprietary licenses, but most of what we're going to be using is perfectly free for our use and is free for anyone to use so long as they agree to the GPLv2/GPLv3/MIT/BSD licenses.

In the corporate world, it's a whole other beast. Some shady companies will ignore the license agreements but there's a reason software license compliance agencies exist. I forget the name fo the generic enforcement agency, but there are all sorts of bad things that can happen if your licenses aren't all squared away.

Just read this article about windows moving towards cloud based computing and subscriptions.
I'm so thankful for ALL the people everywhere that help make Linux a viable alternative (including this forum).
Link below, and I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so if it belongs someplace else feel free to move it. ;)
Microsoft is making everything herself to convince people shift to Linux and other alternatives.

I do. We lived through hell because of DecStations all booting from a common VAX server. Yes, a long time ago. When the building lost power, all of the workstations rebooted. They hammered the poor VAX server into thrashing as they all attempted to reboot at the same time.

The IT guys knew to go to every workstation in the building (four floors) and shut them all down one by one, which eventually stopped the thrashing. Then they would go one workstation at a time and start it up, never more than one or two at a time so they would not drive the server into thrashing. The restart took four hours. If the power failure happened in the morning, they told everyone to come back after lunch. If the power failure happened in the afternoon, they sent everyone home. Everyone included 150 developers, systems engineers, test engineers, documentation team, management, various specialized groups, and much more. DEC really let us down on that one. They let us down even more later and eventually we dumped DEC entirely.
Yeah, I had to babysit a VAX11/780 back in the day too, but it was at a military installation powered by a 800kw series 3000 Exide UPS, so we had WAY fewer problems. The ups was fun to maintain too. An interesting piece of technology!

Windows going full cloud is a trend that has been happening for a few years now. Microsoft has been slowly moving its Windows operating system to the cloud, and this trend is likely to continue in the future. There are several reasons for this trend, including the increasing popularity of mobile devices and cloud computing.
As Windows pivots towards a more cloud-centric approach, the influence of Linux becomes increasingly evident. The shift emphasizes remote access, cloud-based services, and subscription models, aligning with Linux's open-source ethos. This evolution owes gratitude to Linux's innovation in cloud technologies, fostering scalable, adaptable infrastructures. InCora Software https://incora.software/ stands at the forefront, facilitating this transition by harnessing cloud-based solutions. Their expertise in software development and cloud integration fosters seamless migration and optimization. Linux's impact on cloud technology inspires Windows' progression, while companies like InCora empower this evolution, ensuring smoother transitions and enhanced functionalities in the ever-evolving landscape of cloud-based operating systems.

There are several benefits to Windows going full cloud. First, it makes it easier for users to access their files and applications from anywhere in the world. Second, it can help to improve security by centralizing data and applications in one place. Third, it can help to reduce costs by eliminating the need for physical servers.

However, there are also some potential challenges to Windows going full cloud. One challenge is that it can be difficult to ensure that cloud-based applications are as reliable as on-premises applications. Another challenge is that cloud-based applications can be more expensive to operate than on-premises applications.

Overall, the trend of Windows going full cloud is a positive one. It offers several benefits to users and businesses, and it is likely to continue in the future. However, it is important to be aware of the potential challenges before making the switch to the cloud.

Linux is a free and open-source operating system that has been around for many years. It is a popular choice for servers and embedded devices, and it is also becoming increasingly popular for desktops. Linux is a powerful and versatile operating system that is well-suited for a wide range of tasks.

Last edited:
Windows going full cloud is a trend that has been happening for a few years now. Microsoft has been slowly moving its Windows operating system to the cloud, and this trend is likely to continue in the future. There are several reasons for this trend, including the increasing popularity of mobile devices and cloud computing.

There are several benefits to Windows going full cloud. First, it makes it easier for users to access their files and applications from anywhere in the world. Second, it can help to improve security by centralizing data and applications in one place. Third, it can help to reduce costs by eliminating the need for physical servers.

However, there are also some potential challenges to Windows going full cloud. One challenge is that it can be difficult to ensure that cloud-based applications are as reliable as on-premises applications. Another challenge is that cloud-based applications can be more expensive to operate than on-premises applications.

Overall, the trend of Windows going full cloud is a positive one. It offers several benefits to users and businesses, and it is likely to continue in the future. However, it is important to be aware of the potential challenges before making the switch to the cloud.

Linux is a free and open-source operating system that has been around for many years. It is a popular choice for servers and embedded devices, and it is also becoming increasingly popular for desktops. Linux is a powerful and versatile operating system that is well-suited for a wide range of tasks.
You are a living proof that AI will never replace people in forums, 5 paragraphs and it didn't manage to address the subject in any meaningful way

sounds like an advertisement for micro$oft and needs deleted

Members online

Latest posts