Windows 7 problem

megaforce

Reaction score
Credits
Got a question for you guys. Is there a Linux solution for a problem with windows 7. I ran a chkdsk and it returned with an error "replacing invalid security id with default security id for file **** " then it goes thru all the files by the thousands and makes them unavailable. After this, it boots to a black screen with a cursor,,,, and thats it...

G'day megaforce, Welcome to Linux.org

That sounds like a fairly typical windows occurrence.....a black screen with a cursor !

The Linux solution would be to install Linux on that hdd/sdd ....problem solved forever.

However, I should also say that window 7 does not receive updates any more.....in particular Security updates.

And there lies the biggest problem. Virtually immediately that win 7 is taken online it will become infected.

The next problem is you have a 32 bit system......It is only as big a problem as you make it.

Have a look through the list in the link which I will post below

Take care......this list was supplied in March 2023.....and things change rapidly.

There 15 distros listed here

I am unsure if Debian still supports 32bit a member here @Brickwizard will pop in and advise you there

AniX is one I have heard good things about...well worth consideration.

Emmabuntis, sounds interesting....they have two versions...one based on ubuntu the other on Debian....personally I would go with debian

It just occurred to me....I should ask what pc do you have...how much ram, type and capacity of hdd/ssd etc
Also give us a good idea of what you use your pc for

And......how sure are you that you have a 32bit system?

How was that fact established?

Welcome to the forums,
the first Windows 7 was released October 2009, taking this as a manufacturing guide to your machine, it should be 64 bit [any older and it could be 32 bit].. don't think it is 32 bit just because it has 32 bit win 7, this was a common marketing ploy.
it should be USB bootable and be UEFI. if you want it checking, then let us know the full make and model number of the machine.

Before you start your journey, please read the following

"replacing invalid security id with default security id for file **** " then it goes thru all the files by the thousands and makes them unavailable.
On Windows once file-system security permissions have been messed up there is no way to recover.

There is a MS website which now exists only on wayback machine that explains how to recover fs permissions but this applies to Windows 7 at a maximum (not sure), later editions do not support this type of recovery and according to MS docs you'd need to reinstall system.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

In case you don't know this is a Linux Forum...the best way to solve your problem is remove windoze and install any Linux Distro...problem solved.
1714368756675.gif

Staff online