WIFI stopped working after updates

peterrios

Reaction score
Credits
I have spent many hours trying to fix wifi issues... which occurred after installing updates. After much research, I did not find a solution...but wifi returned on it's own, somehow. But now, I am reluctant to install further updates when they are available. I am not tech savy and do not wish to spent hours and hours searching for solutions.
Do I really need to install further updates? If so, how can I avert losing wifi again?

You might start by telling us which OS you are using?

Also what changes/steps you have already implemented?

Our crystal ball is non functional today....

In 7 years of running Linux Mint Cinnamon...I've never had this problem but without any info no one can help as we are not mind readers.
m1516.gif

...and after you have answered the above, we can also talk a little about Timeshift.

Welcome to linux.org @peterrios :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello @peterrios,
Welcome to the Forum.
One of the basic information needs we have is to know which wifi chip set your using? It makes a great deal of difference in how we can help you.
Was it working before the update/upgrade?
These questions are in addition to the ones already asked above.

If it's a laptop , then without further information, my guess would be a hard block [sometimes called flight mode], It don't often happen, but on some machines updating/upgrading can initiate a hard block,

Last edited:
If it's a laptop , then without further information, my guess would be a hard block [sometimes called flight mode], I don't often happen, but on some machines updating/upgrading can initiate a hard block,
If @Brickwizard is correct and he, may be, running this command will reveal it.
Code:
rfkill list

If your update included a kernel upgrade try rolling the kernel back and see if it starts working-
Code:
sudo modprobe iwlwifi
and note any errors or warnings. If none, then run:
Code:
sudo dmesg | grep iwl

Staff online

Members online