linux_user96

Reaction score
Credits
Hi

A few months back I installed on my almost 10 year old laptop Linux Mint. Everything worked great until recently, maybe 1 or 2 months, my browsers are extremely laggy, chrome and firefox. My wifi connection disconnects and reconnects several times within an hour. Videos take forever to play, like youtube. Also just googling is also slow.

I thought to myself that this will stop when I update the newest version 21.3. Virginia xfce but the issue is still the same.

Also yesterday I tried this tutorial: https://tecadmin.net/install-linux-kernel-on-ubuntu/

But I think I messed up something, because my laptop does not boot without showing me these messages(see screenshots). I choose "advanced options for linux mint 21.3 xfce" then I click the third line and the laptop boots as always. but wifi issues remain. I am not sure if its really the wifi, because on all other devices my wifi works with no problem.

I have attached screenshots of the specs of my laptop!

But I also have a very bad working battery pack in my laptop. I have never changed it. It only lasts like 30 minutes not more. I have to recharge it constantly. So could this be the reason why suddenly the internet connection is laggy? I must say that months back I had the same issue with the battery but my internet was not laggy. Months ago I also changed my HDD to SSD.

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_125652 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240225_125652 (1).jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20240225_125702 (2).jpg
    IMG_20240225_125702 (2).jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 58
  • info3.png
    info3.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 50
  • info2.png
    info2.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 50
  • info.png
    info.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 58
  • inffo.png
    inffo.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Everything worked great until recently, maybe 1 or 2 months,
What changed? did you install something out of the ordinary....maybe something to do with graphics?....

Wifi....have you rebooted the router?.....are you able to connect via ethernet cable ?....if so is there any difference?

In using that link you supplied, you updated to a newer kernel....that is unlikely to do any good on a ten year old pc

Personally I would reinstall. Standard install

Did you make any changes in bios?

How much ram do you have?....4gb +

When/if you reinstall, make sure you tick the boxes to install whatever the installer asks for.....multi media etc

Does anyone else share your wifi/internet connection ?

I see nothing wrong with your WI-Fi and drivers
on grub screen select 2nd line and run the repair applications
still laggy I then suspect the Nvidia card or driver,

What changed? did you install something out of the ordinary....maybe something to do with graphics?....

Wifi....have you rebooted the router?.....are you able to connect via ethernet cable ?....if so is there any difference?

In using that link you supplied, you updated to a newer kernel....that is unlikely to do any good on a ten year old pc

Personally I would reinstall. Standard install

Did you make any changes in bios?

How much ram do you have?....4gb +

When/if you reinstall, make sure you tick the boxes to install whatever the installer asks for.....multi media etc

Does anyone else share your wifi/internet connection ?
yes, 1 to 2 people are using the wifi, the internet we bought is like ten years old, its 10mbit, and we never changed since then... but now, for more than a week its working great again, I dont know why... maybe its the updates on my laptop...

I see nothing wrong with your WI-Fi and drivers
on grub screen select 2nd line and run the repair applications
still laggy I then suspect the Nvidia card or driver,
its working great again, maybe it was the updates on my laptop making problems, I dont know, but for a few days its working great, even my internet is only 10mbit and 10 years old

the internet we bought is like ten years old,
Can we assume you mean the router you bought? If so, I've, personally, never had a consumer grade router last that long. You're lucky. But it could be giving you intermittent problems now. You said there are others using the network. Were they having the same issues?

Can we assume you mean the router you bought? If so, I've, personally, never had a consumer grade router last that long. You're lucky. But it could be giving you intermittent problems now. You said there are others using the network. Were they having the same issues?
yes the router, but it was replaced several times. what I meant is the technology behind it, you know nowadays where I live either optical fiber or satellite cables are used... yes others also had the same issue, on their phones they lost connection many times during the day... then it must be because of the 10mbit internet connection... maybe my provider had some upgrades that lead to this, but I never had that before, even we played on the PS4

use standard diagnostic. Use something that you know works and compare. So try the laptop on a different router that you know works perfectly and see if the problem persists. You could also use other equipment on the router in question and see if that equipment has a similar issue. This tells you where to look and that is important so you do not waste time working on the NOT problem and end up causing more issues.

Start simple and see what you get. then let us know. Last time I had a problem like this I had one system constantly with issues like yours, and others occasionally had the problem when connected. In the end I replaced my 15 year old Cisco 871W Router and problem solved. So lets do this with proper diagnostic and see where we should look instead of guessing.

Members online