Solved WIFI Card disabled all of a sudden

Solved issue

banderas20

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!

I have a Dell XPS Laptop with Ubuntu 20.04 installed. Recently, the wifi adapter stopped working all of a sudden, without any update.

The network manager shows "No Wifi Adapter available".

Code:
systemctl status networkmanager
shows:

Code:
device (wlp59s0): state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed', sys-iface-state: 'external'
Error: failed to open /run/network/ifstate

I don't have any /run/network directory. Neither /etc/network/interfaces file

If I run
Code:
ip a
, the device appears.

If I run
Code:
nmcli
, it shows:
Code:
wlp59s:unavailable
iwlwifi: <MAC> , sw disabled, hw, mtu 1500.

I'm guessing I might have disabled it by mistake with a keyboard shortcut, but I can't get it back to work. II just can toggle the airplane mode on and off.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Perhaps run as root:
Code:
rfkill list
to see what it says. If by chance it says wifi is blocked, then one may be able to fix it with:
Code:
rkfill unblock all
The issue may however be elsewhere. If rfkill is not installed, install it.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with Dell, so please run inxi -Nn and paste back the full results,
is it a solo or dual boot set up, have you run any updates before it started giving problems?

Hi.

First of all, thank you for the quick replies.

I solved it with the command: nmcli radio wifi on

After that, rfkill showed both bluetooth and wlan as unblocked in soft and hard.

Which might have been the issue? Why did it turn off?

Thanks again!

Why did it turn off?
This is one of the quirks of Linux on certain machines [ not usually Dell] some distributions will for some reason [and don't ask me why] install as a hard block [flight mode] it's more common with Acer & Asus machines,
if your now happy, please go back to your first post and edit "Solved" [drop down box left of title]

This is one of the quirks of Linux on certain machines [ not usually Dell] some distributions will for some reason [and don't ask me why] install as a hard block [flight mode] it's more common with Acer & Asus machines,
if your now happy, please go back to your first post and edit "Solved" [drop down box left of title]
Sure. Thanks a million for your help!