WIFI ADAPTER NOT FOUND

musketon

Reaction score
Credits
Hii everyone,
I am very new to linux, so here's the thing. I dual booted Ubuntu 22.0.4.3 alongside windows. However, somehow my wifi is not getting connected. It shows wifi adapter not found. What do I do now? Some help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG20230926065313.jpg
    IMG20230926065313.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 226

Hi! & Welcome-:)

Wifi is not my specialty however; if you can provide us with the output of this command it will help us to help you.

1. Open your terminal.
2. Type in this command:
Code:
inxi --full

3. IF the command-line terminal returns not found <or> can be installed run this command to install inxi:
Code:
sudo apt install inxi
4. Press Enter after typing in the above command.
After typing in your password press Enter. (On Linux when you type in your password in the command-line terminal your password will not show) Just type it in and press the Enter key.
5. Copy and paste the output that the command-line terminal returns.
Then, post it here in code tags for us to read through.

The code tags are 7 icons over when you post a new thread. It looks like this:
Code:
</>

Hi! & Welcome-:)

Wifi is not my specialty however; if you can provide us with the output of this command it will help us to help you.

1. Open your terminal.
2. Type in this command:
Code:
inxi --full

3. IF the command-line terminal returns not found <or> can be installed run this command to install inxi:
Code:
sudo apt install inxi
4. Press Enter after typing in the above command.
After typing in your password press Enter. (On Linux when you type in your password in the command-line terminal your password will not show) Just type it in and press the Enter key.
5. Copy and paste the output that the command-line terminal returns.
Then, post it here in code tags for us to read through.

The code tags are 7 icons over when you post a new thread. It looks like this:
Code:
</>
Hii thanks for replying. I'll attach a file

Attachments

• IMG20230926072458.jpg
    IMG20230926072458.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 206
You're welcome.
I'm surprised that inxi wasn't available.

Did you verify the integrity of the Ubuntu .iso image before you performed the install?

You can follow my instructions (old school way)* (may or may not work) <or> you can wait for other members here to help you. Remember I'm not the best at the WiFi stuff.

You may have to go here and download this inxi package and manually install it.

Go to the bottom of the page where it says 'Architecture' all.
Click on the word all.
Doing so will direct you to a page of mirrors. Choose your closest mirror.
As soon as you select a mirror your inxi_3.3.13-1-1_all.deb should download.

Whatever other device your using to communicate with us here.....just download that .deb package and then copy it and transfer it to a usb thumb drive.

Once the inxi.deb package is on the usb thumb drive plug it in to your Ubuntu / Windows machine and locate it. Cut it or copy it and put it in the Downloads directory.

You'll have to verify the integrity of that .deb package to be safe.
1. To do that open your command-line terminal and type:
Code:
cd Downloads
2. Then type ls and press Enter
3. The terminal will show you what's in that directory as it should be the inxi.deb package.
4. Copy this command and paste it in the terminal.
Code:
md5sum inxi_3.3.13-1-1_all.deb
5. Compare the signature (long line of numbers) to the one on the page with the mirrors.

It should be this:
Code:
MD5 checksum        1d2dc9c735f21c162504c102d0bd062f
If it is not than the integrity of the .deb package is corrupt. Don't use it.

IF the signature matches, install the package with:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i inxi_3.3.13-1-1_all.deb

Type in your password and press the Enter key.

Reboot and see if your wifi works.
If not you may be missing things like libraries or other stuff the members here know about that I'm not sure of.

Tbh, I think I did some mistake while installing Ubuntu. Because when I installed Ubuntu via virtual box, while everything was extremely slow, the general process of installing the os was pretty good and I did get the option of connecting to wifi in the beginning. However I got no such thing when I dual booted it alongside windows. I'll try this when I get back home but I doubt it'll work because I encountered many bugs this time which I did not face when I installed it through virtual box.

OK, your Wi-Fi is not found/recognised, this will usually be caused by flight mode being enabled [laptops only] or more likely a missing wi-fi driver..
click on ubuntu logo to open menu, find software manager and open, in the search box type inxi and enter, click on inxi and then the install button,
now you should have inxi
in the terminal type inxi -Nnz and copy back the report

OK, your Wi-Fi is not found/recognised, this will usually be caused by flight mode being enabled [laptops only] or more likely a missing wi-fi driver..
click on ubuntu logo to open menu, find software manager and open, in the search box type inxi and enter, click on inxi and then the install button,
now you should have inxi
In post #3 package inxi can't be located.
now you should have inxi
See post #3--
Code:
unable to locate package inxi

I thought downloading the .deb pkg manually would help:-

I thought downloading the .deb pkg manually would help:
It may, but inxi should be in the software manager if it was not loaded by de-fault [which is the easy option]

You're welcome.

Did you verify the integrity of the Ubuntu .iso image before you performed the install?

You can follow my instructions (old school way)* (may or may not work) <or> you can wait for other members here to help you. Remember I'm not the best at the WiFi stuff.

Click on the word all.

Whatever other device your using to communicate with us here.....just download that .deb package and then copy it and transfer it to a usb thumb drive.

Once the inxi.deb package is on the usb thumb drive plug it in to your Ubuntu / Windows machine and locate it. Cut it or copy it and put it in the Downloads directory.

Code:
cd Downloads
3. The terminal will show you what's in that directory as it should be the inxi.deb package.
Code:
5. Compare the signature (long line of numbers) to the one on the page with the mirrors.

It should be this:
Code:

Code:

If not you may be missing things like libraries or other stuff the members here know about that I'm not sure of.
Wow this seems like a lot of work. Pls wait for some time, it might take a while

now you should have inxi
No this is a desktop. And I am sorry I might not know much about this but where is the Ubuntu logo?

I
You're welcome.

Click on the word all.

Code:
cd Downloads
Code:

It should be this:
Code:

Code:

I did everything you mentioned. I'll attach a file of the output. However, when I rebooted my computer, it still showed no wifi adapter found.

Attachments

• IMG20230926204817.jpg
    IMG20230926204817.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 143
Depends on which desktop you have [assuming its not a server] something similar to this on the bottom or top bar
th-2902196323.jpeg

It will be in the top left or bottom left depending on which desktop, unless you have changed the desktop or are running a different distribution based on Ubuntu, such as Kali

I don't recognise that particular desk top, try clicking on activities

If its Gnome 3 then it probably has an icon somewhere named add/remove software

If its Gnome 3 then it probably has an icon somewhere named add/remove software
Yup that's what I recall.
On my Voyager 11 install based on Debian with Gnome the icon says 'software'.

It said firmware couldn't be installed. I don't really know what that means. Should I just buy a usb wifi adapter compatible with linux?