Solved Why No Sound ?

Solved issue
Who's having the sound problem ?
m0116.gif

I might try that sound App.
t1848.gif

Eh ?........what's that you say...?

As I used to say to Elaine -

"Speak up, I can't hear you. Been deef for 20 years." Usually followed by a cushion being tossed at me.

I'm going to ask the first ridiculous question customer care would ask.

Do you have the volume on the actual speaker turned all the way up?

I sure have ,,,checked that first....everything is unmuted.

I sure have ,,,checked that first....everything is unmuted.
BTW
I FINALLY have Linux running on this laptop. I writing a post now with some comments that might be helpful to someone and my first impressions.

Questions are cool. Usually the stand out problem is discovering/learning just how to navigate one's way around Linux.

Once you have the 'road map' in your mind, the rest becomes reasonably straightforward.

As per advice from @Rado ....":Open sound settings and choose Analog audio output."

I did just that, and the headphones work like a charm....only headphones.

Regardless of what I try, i do not receive sound from a speaker.....hence the purchase of a stand alone speaker
It's rado84. Rado is another user and that's not me.

If you count on sound from TV/monitor speakers, I wouldn't. These are always glitchy and the majority of drivers for linux for unknown reasons don't recognize them properly. My monitor is BENQ GW2270, it doesn't have ANY integrated speakers (I made sure of that when I purchased it in 2016) and yet the nvidia driver keeps installing drivers for them (guess whether they actually work...). Every time I need to reinstall the system it defaults to these bogus devices.
So, if you want a working sound, external speakers with or without subwoofer (whose sound comes from the green jack of the soundcard) is your best bet.

So, if you want a working sound, external speakers with or without subwoofer (whose sound comes from the green jack of the soundcard) is your best bet.
That is exactly what I have ordered

I like that one of Rado's, though, will bookmark this thread.

I only get a sound issue maybe once every couple of years, but given the number of distros in my stable, that tip could be very useful.

Thanks @rado84 ;)
I thought a guy who's way more experienced with Linux than me would already know that. :eek:

Compared to you or Rob, I'm basically a newbie. :D

Hey Condobloke,

Do you realise the Sound "App" you installed is basically the same Sound "App" that's installed by default in Cinnamon 21.3.
m1213.gif

The only difference is...the one you installed has this...in the settings
1705981975144.png

Installed the icon has different colours...
1705982249372.png

Not something I'd worry about.
m0103.gif

I'll try really hard not to, Bob

Problem SOLVED.

I bought the cheapest pair of speakers I could find....$13 AUD

They arrived today

2 x 2" speakers in a longish plastic surround....one lead for the nearest usb post the other in the 3.5mm green....and I have sound !!

Also....not bad for $13 !

Members online