Why is an USB/CD burn required for Linux installation

Is it Cinnamon or MATE you are running,
-------------------------------------------------------

Cinnamon toast here.
Mint Tara version 19.

I followed a great instruction video on utube for the VM setup and installing Linux on the VM, complete with command line entries for post installation updating and app-get for tools. Lucky for me it had subtitles enabled. :-D
I'll grep the addy if you want it. It was spot on. 1st try a success.

I did notice he used a character I am not familiar with. It looked like a tilde (~) turned vertically. -| <--- use vertical tilde instead of pipe.

[For Stan]
I started to DL VirtualBox from Oracle but didn't. They wanted way to much information from me to DL and try. I'm a huge fan of free/shareware apps and am happy to provide some info. I didn't go that far, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they wanted to know the name of my 1st born.<shrug>

Bluetrix

Fair call :D

Yeah, share the link, we can always add it to our "Wiki"

Wiz

aWZkM0E.jpg

Austrian, by the file he downloads, I just watched the subtitles, lol, so far.

That's great, I've bookmarked it, and ta (pron. "tar", Aussie for thanks) for sharing, James :)

I've tried to install VMWare before a couple of times, and had difficulties, but this may help.

Wizard

Edited - VM to VMWare

Last edited:
[For Stan]
I started to DL VirtualBox from Oracle but didn't. They wanted way to much information from me to DL and try. I'm a huge fan of free/shareware apps and am happy to provide some info. I didn't go that far, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they wanted to know the name of my 1st born.<shrug>
I was curious about this, thinking maybe something had changed from my previous experience. I spent the day yesterday erasing my hard drive and switching from Mint MATE to Cinnamon, and as I started to restore programs it gave me the chance to reinstall VirtualBox on both Windows 7 and Linux. These are simple downloads (from here)... an .exe for Windows and a .deb for Mint/Ubuntu. Neither version asks for any information, not even a simple registration process. During the Windows install, it prompts to install 3 additional helper apps (one for USB, one for network adapters, and one for network services) and I always allow these in case they are needed or useful. The Linux install does not ask to install these helper apps. I followed through all the way to installing a different Linux in both of these setups to test them thoroughly.

No big deal at this point since you're successfully using VMware, but just thought I'd point this out in case you want to try VirtualBox again at some later date. I can only guess that you may have gone directly to the Oracle website where they wanted more info from you.

Cheers

Members online

Latest posts