While we are on the topic....Who uses the UFW Firewall...and Why ?

Do you use the UFW (Firewall) in Linux? Yes/No

• Total voters

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
Do you use the Linux UFW.....Uncomplicated FireWall

Why?

Why Not ?

Do you use something different?...please explain

I use the front-end for firewalld provided by the Plasma DE by default.

I value having a firewall because, as working with docker and other services in local (for experiments, development, playgrounds, etc.) I can be sure that I can control how many services are exposed through my network connections.

One of the first things I do when I do a clean install is enable the firewall.
m100.gif

Why ? Only a fool wouldn't...the Modem has a built-in firewall but I like the extra protection.
m1218.gif

..please explain

Yes, Pauline. :)

I use firewalld on one or two of my stable of 78. The rest are ufw.

I haven't got into all the IP tables tweaking, but on ufw when I am running shared folders between computers in the house (not currently), I allow for a couple of extra ports to be recognised for openssh purposes.

ufw was first brought to my attention using Ubuntu 14.04 'Trusty Tahr' in 2014. It has served me well.

Wiz

I also use firewalld....available from LinuMint repository (software manager)

I use it becasue it does not interfere with my VPN.

My vpn uses the IP tables, and using the ufw introduces unneeded complications.

So....firewalld does the job
Works in the background
Every bit as reliable as ufw

Even though the backend of firewalld is still the nf tables, it appears there is no interference from the vpn and vice versa

Last edited:
Nope. Anything public-facing is behind a hardware firewall. Nobody lets me play with those buttons, which is probably for the best. I did have a hardware firewall here, but it stopped getting updates a few years ago.

Anything at home and I just don't forward the ports - or install dodgy software.

Every now and then I'll check to see what ports are open to look for unusual activity, but I've never had an issue.

It depends on the distro I'm using I use UFW on some and plasma's frontend on others. They both work for me.

Of course in the Redhat/Fedora world it's called firewalld instead of ufw.
But I use it quite a bit, mostly because it's a requirement for the servers were I work.
But I run it at home as well, yes my ISP router blocks pretty much everything for me.
But there are some things I even want to block from my ISP. Besides, it's just good practice for me.

ufw+gufw+opensnitch+sshguard
Using default ufw settings (Deny Incoming/Allow Outgoing) other than allowing deluge.

Plain and simple.

Some Linux distros UFW is the default firewall so that's what I use and why I use it.

Some Linux distros Firewalled is the default firewall so that's what I use and why I use it.

And no other reason.

I also use Firejail although ain't always possible sometimes or is a bigger PITA than it's worth.

I believe in the KISS philosophy "Keep It Simple Stupid".

Members online