Which Linux and how?

Reaction score
Credits
Which Linux and how?

I have a Lenovo W530 64-bit x64-based processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz with 8,00 GB RAM with a 240GB SSD with very little space and a Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS. It does not comply to Windows 11 updates and apparently cannot be made to comply. I am fairly computer literate, used to hate DOS and loved Windows when it came out. I now mainly use my laptop for e-mails, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, Visio, PowerPoint, music, movies, torrents and photos.

New to Linux and flabbergasted by the choices and would like some guidance. At this stage I do not want to discard Windows entirely due to peripherals like a scanner, printer, Garmin GPS, etc., and would like to run a dual boot system with an external 1TB hard drive. I also have a 8 GB 2.0 flash drive handy and lots of new DVD discs.

If I find what I am looking for with Linux I will wipe Widows but would like to do some investigating to see how I will fit. Now, based on the above and those that know Linux, which version would best suit my needs and what would the best install be before wiping Windows?

G'day Erik, Welcome to Linux.org

Make a bootable usb stick.

My first thought would be Linux Mint 21.3

Read the entire blurb in tha link that I left up above.

You can run that usb stick/Live version for as long as you like....test it out thoroughly.....ask more question here etc etc etc
BUT....bne aware that as soon as you reboot to go to windows or shut down for whatever reason, any changes you have made in the live version will disappear.
when you fire up the usb stick again they will not be there

It is only when it is fully installed that all changes are set in stone.

That should give a bit of reading and maybe you will shortly have a bootable usb stick and be exploring via Linux Mint

Have fun.

Welcome, your machine is capable of running any desktop Linux YOU choose
which version would best suit my needs
what would the best install be before wiping Windows?

some suggestions [I do not recomend] to popular builds
Mint, either Ubuntu based or slightly lighter LMDE [Debian based]
Debian [with driver pack]
Parrot Home
Any of the Ubuntu family
Linux-Lite
MX Linux

Last edited:
Hello @Erik Groothuijzen
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, Good to have you here!
As just about any Linux distro should work with your equipment you have a wide variety of choices.
I find this Web page may be of help in choosing
In the getting started segment it give a short blurp about different distros. Mint is certainly a contender. I personally like KDE desktops which are not currently available in mint , but their Cinnamon DE is very good also. in any event as you find your way and enter the Linux learning curve. Enjoy the journey! :)

LinuxMint is an excellent choice for getting started with Linux, and there's a good community. ;)

I would recommend Linux Mint, the biggest reason being that Mint's forums are very newbie-friendly (as is this one).

I now mainly use my laptop for . . ., Word documents, Excel spreadsheets
Is this work related? This may be a problem. LibreOffice is the "go-to" for things like this in Linux, but if you are sharing these documents with others who are using Microsoft apps, the formatting may get screwed up.

I would recommend Linux Mint, the biggest reason being that Mint's forums are very newbie-friendly (as is this one).

Is this work related? This may be a problem. LibreOffice is the "go-to" for things like this in Linux, but if you are sharing these documents with others who are using Microsoft apps, the formatting may get screwed up.
No, I am retired and the laptop is just for fun. Managed to make an ISO USB boot stick and am now in Mint. Desktop gives a message "Install mint", but does not tell me where it will be installed, as I do not have a lot of space on my 240Gig SSD. Can someone please advise?

"Install mint", but does not tell me where it will be installed
Assuming you only have one hrddrive/ssd it will be installed there, you will be asked if you want to install alongside windows or use the whole disk, your choice, but first READ my how do I guide [link in blue in my signature]

Assuming you only have one hrddrive/ssd it will be installed there, you will be asked if you want to install alongside windows or use the whole disk, your choice, but first READ my how do I guide [link in blue in my signature]
Thanks for that. Unfortunately my SSD is too small for a dual boot system, and I am not yet confident enough to wipe Windows 10. Unfortunately now I cannot access my external USB hard drives to see how they will interact. Time will tell........

You can install Mint to your 1tb external hard drive. I would recommend a 50 gig partition for the root file system (/) and a 50 gig partition for /home. Having a separate /home partition means you can reinstall Linux without losing everything in the /home partition.

The installer will find your Windows install and set up a dual boot for you.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.
--glenn

Which Linux and how?

I have a Lenovo W530 64-bit x64-based processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz with 8,00 GB RAM with a 240GB SSD with very little space and a Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS. It does not comply to Windows 11 updates and apparently cannot be made to comply. I am fairly computer literate, used to hate DOS and loved Windows when it came out. I now mainly use my laptop for e-mails, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, Visio, PowerPoint, music, movies, torrents and photos.

New to Linux and flabbergasted by the choices and would like some guidance. At this stage I do not want to discard Windows entirely due to peripherals like a scanner, printer, Garmin GPS, etc., and would like to run a dual boot system with an external 1TB hard drive. I also have a 8 GB 2.0 flash drive handy and lots of new DVD discs.

If I find what I am looking for with Linux I will wipe Widows but would like to do some investigating to see how I will fit. Now, based on the above and those that know Linux, which version would best suit my needs and what would the best install be before wiping Windows?
After reading your entire problem, we say that Ubuntu OS is the reliable Linux operating system, that you can use. It is an user-friendly operating system supported with a larger community. There are plenty of forums also like this where you will get support and assistance. Hence, it is recommended to go with the updated Ubuntu operating system with security patches. Apart from that there is a concept called Dual Booting. In this, you don't have to uninstall Windows but can install both OS on your system. It means Linux and Windows both will work.

After reading your entire problem, we say that Ubuntu OS is the reliable Linux operating system, that you can use. It is an user-friendly operating system supported with a larger community. There are plenty of forums also like this where you will get support and assistance. Hence, it is recommended to go with the updated Ubuntu operating system with security patches. Apart from that there is a concept called Dual Booting. In this, you don't have to uninstall Windows but can install both OS on your system. It means Linux and Windows both will work.
I understand the dual boot system, but mt SSD is too small and I do not have enough space. I made a boot flash drive for Mint, and it is working. I am trying to load the whole operating system on an external USB HDD, so I can get a better feel for the Linux system and maybe try other Linux versions as well. That is not that easy, and I am finding my way again in the maze that is computers. Never has anyone wasted such a lot of time trying to solve what looks like an easy problem to solve......, but never mind, i will get there.

You could install Mint or Ubuntu to the 1TB external SSD and dual boot with Windows. Does everything work running Mint from the USB? Is it a laptop or desktop? What video card?

You could install Mint or Ubuntu to the 1TB external SSD and dual boot with Windows. Does everything work running Mint from the USB? Is it a laptop or desktop? What video card?
I now have a Mint boot flash drive, but would like a more full experience with Linus. Installing the full operating system on my external hard drive (unfortunately not an SSD)is the next hill to conquer. But nothing easy is all that nice, so we will just soldier on.

Members online

No members online now.