Which desktops/window managers support hidpi and fractional scaling?

mireiner

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there,

my wife uses a 32" 4k-monitor and I'm a 27" 2k-monitor. We both like to switch from Windows to Linux beginning with a dual boot setup. Our eyes aren't the best so we use both 150% fractional scaling on our monitors. We use our desktop computers for office, graphics, internet, audio and video - no gaming. Both PC's are quite new and got enough power and RAM and got Intel UHD 630 GPU graphics.

As Linux beginners we've done some distro-hopping to find out which desktop environments support hidpi and fractional scaling. Here's what we find out:

On Xorg windows manager:
1. KDE Plasma 5.20 -> works out of the box
2. Deepin 20 -> works out of the box
2. Cinnamon 4.6 -> works out of the box
3. Ubuntu 20.10 with Gnome 3.38 -> works out of the box but is unstable (especially video)
4. XFCE 4.14 -> needs manual adjustments on various places (visually not our cup of tee anyway)

On Wayland
On all distros: Problem with blurry fonts in the majority of applications.

Our first impressions are that KDE Plasma works best for our needs. But we didn't like that GTK graphics are not suported well for some apps (poor icons and symbols that not scaled for example).

We didn't try out window managers like i3wm or others yet.

Because we found only a few flawless working choices we are very unsure whether we have overlooked obvious possibilities to enable hdpi and fractional scaling on other distros/desktops?

So we like to ask if you can recommend us any other Linux setup that works flawless with hidpi and fractional scaling and is visually appealing (or can be managed to be so)?

We didn't try out window managers like i3wm or others yet.

G'day @mireiner and welcome to linux.org :)

I think you may be referring to display managers rather then window managers.

For example, there is GDM for GNOME, LightDM for Xfce and MATE, and so on.

Take a look at my Thread on Visually Challenged pinned near top of this subforum, we are just starting on HiDPI there.

Off for my Aussie evening, catch you later

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz