What should I do after installing Debian 12?

I also read a firewall is a good idea. But I have never seen any mention of anti-virus... Like it is not needed on Linux...? I know is getting a little off track but I have been wondering for a while now.

I plan to install Debian tomorrow. So if their is anything else anyone thinks I should know or install... I will check back here again before I start install,

I do not know the specs of the laptop as I format it in preparation of Debian install. I know it came before with Windows 7. So I hope good enough. As soon as Debian is installed and I find out how to get specs from it. I will post.
You will find a fire wall either packaged with your distribution [you just need to set it up], if not it will be in the package manager to install.
The only Anti-virus i use is the occasional file scan with Clam, this is more for the protection of the family who still use Windows and Android

Hi,

on desktop Systems i do the following thinks after setup:

• Check if the resolution has been set correktly to cross check graphic card drivers
  • Check if wifi and lan working
  • Open a video on youtube for example to check if sound and encoded content work
  • Check if printer work correctly if present
  • Check if scanner work correctly if present
  • Check if the firewall is correctly configured
  • Do an full system upgrade
  • Shutdown the pc completly
  • Start the pc
  • Check the software i need and install if not present in the default way given by system to prevent problem on upgrade in future
  • Reboot the system

This maybe worth a watch

particularly ~47 mins in, when both Leo & Dan talk about a month of using Debian.

They mention not liking some defaults, eg. the older ESR version of firefox thus mention how they modify parts to their own tastes (distrobox & other alternatives where they need/want newer software)

One of the first things I do is add yourself to sudo user group
Code:
usermod -aG sudo your-username

Reboot
Now I update the machine
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Next I usually install my printer - then any utilities I might want to use like - inxi, xinput, net-tools, wmctrl and the like
I edit the /etc/sudoers with elevated privileges and under the root entry I add the word ALL at the end of the string, like so:
Code:
alex  ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

You should proceed with great care.

There are many posts e.g. on YouTube telling people that there are X essential number of things to do after installing Debian.

Rubbish.

If sudo works you don't have to add sudo.
If the CD/DVD doesn't appear in the source list you don't have to disable it.
If you aren't running Gnome there is no point adding Gnome-Tweeks.
If your Wi-Fi works you don't have to enable it.
If you don't have a GPU you don't need to add Nvidia/AMD.
...and so on...

Don't add things you don't need. If you have already added them, purge them.

Members online