What is the meaning of this "./" command here?

DBD

Reaction score
Credits
New to linux and golang. Learning both

Inside a folder there are 2 files. One is "first" and the other one is "first.go"

Now the instructor in the video has done
Code:
./first
and the file is giving the output

Code:
sd@sd-VirtualBox:~/Documents/go-udemy/hello-world$ ./my-fist
Hello World

My question is what is the actual meaning of this
Code:
./
command before the file name?

And this:
Code:
~/.mozilla

Points to a hidden file or directory.
Just right click with your mouse in your /home directory and select show hidden files.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBD
Prepending the command with ./ effectively says "forget about the PATH, I want you to look only in the current directory".
Q1 - Why
Code:
go run my-fist.go
works? but
Code:
go run my-fist
and does not work. Vice versa the same thing is taking place

Q2 - As I stated that both the files namely "my-fist" and "my-fist.go" are in the "hello-world" folder, now the instructor has come to that "hello world" folder and doing 2 things like
Code:
./my-fist
and
Code:
go run my-fist.go

What he would have done had he not given the
Code:
./
command to run that "my-fist" executable file

And this:
Code:
~./mozilla

Points to a hidden file or directory.
Just right click with your mouse in your /home directory and select show hidden files.
except your . is off by just a bit. it should be ~/.mozilla.

Q1 - Why
Code:
go run my-fist.go
works? but
Code:
go run my-fist
and does not work. Vice versa the same thing is taking place

Q2 - As I stated that both the files namely "my-fist" and "my-fist.go" are in the "hello-world" folder, now the instructor has come to that "hello world" folder and doing 2 things like
Code:
./my-fist
and
Code:
go run my-fist.go

What he would have done had he not given the
Code:
./
command to run that "my-fist" executable file
It’s been a while since I did anything with go. I took a look at it a couple of years ago, but haven’t actually taken time to learn it properly yet.

But if memory serves, the command go run my-fist.go will build/compile your my-fist.go source file into a native, binary, ELF executable called my-fist and will then run the executable. But only if the source code compiles and links cleanly into an executable, without errors, or warnings. If there are any errors/warnings, the build process will stop and will list any errors/warnings.

The command ./my-fist will just run the pre-compiled executable called my-fist, but only if it exists.
If it doesn’t exist, you will have to compile it first with the go compiler.

If the instructor didn’t use the ./ prefix before my-fist, the shell (bash, or zsh, or whatever they’re using) would throw an error message, because the shell looks for all commands in directories that are listed in the $PATH environment variable (e.g. /usr/bin; /usr/local/bin;/usr/local/share/bin; etc. etc.)

In other words, because the instructor is in the /home/user/helloworld/ directory and the /home/user/helloworld directory is not listed in $PATH, the shell does not know where the my-fist executable is. So they have to specify the path to the executable using a relative path.
./ is the relative path for the current working directory (the directory we’re currently in).
So ./my-fist means run the executable file my-fist in the current directory.

They could also run the executable by using an absolute path too. Which is the complete path to the executable.
E.g.
/home/user/helloworld/my-fist

But as the instructor is already in the /home/user/helloworld/ directory, it’s quicker, easier and less typing to use a relative path to run the executable: ./my-fist.

Does that make sense?!

Also, running ./my-fist.go will not work because it is a go source file.
Go is a compiled language. It’s not an interpreted scripting language. Go source code needs to be compiled into an executable before it can be ran.

If you want to run a .go file, you’d need to use go run /path/to/mainfile.go, where /path/to/mainfile.go is the path to the main .go file in your project.
That will invoke the go compiler and will compile the .go source code into an executable that can be ran.

Once the executable has been built, you can simply run the executable directly, without needing to compile again.

And obviously, if you edit the .go file at any point, you will need to re-compile the source code and re-build the executable, in order to see any changes in action.

Last edited:
Syntax confusion here by the OP

"first"

"fist"

Which is correct?

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts