We recently released Beyond Mankind, and oldschool indie ARPG, on Linux.

Jutsun

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, everyone!

We’re Brytenwalda Studios, the developers of the Viking Conquest DLC for Mount & Blade. We released our new IP Beyond Mankind on Steam a few months ago for Windows and after a lot of work and several patches, we’ve finally released it on Linux! Since we thought you guys might like it, we wanted to let you know about the game and some details about it, but we don't mean to break any rules of the forum.

Beyond Mankind is a postapocalyptic ARPG with some survival elements, but it’s focused on the narrative and it pitches the player against some moral dilemmas and tough decisions. We're big fans of sciencie-fiction, so the game is set in the future, more specifically in the year 2121, and follows the story of a soldier (your character) that’s part of an elite military unit that’s trying to recover Earth for humankind.

Here's a trailer:

The game has been localized in 7 languages, and if you want to give it a try, we also have a free demo available. If you have any thoughts or questions, we’d be delighted to hear them.

Thank you a lot for your attention!

Here’s the link to our Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1301590/Beyond_Mankind_The_Awakening/

Its amazing to see an indie game that had a lot of effort put into it! Being that this is one example of how small passion-project gaming companies have the potential to become the norm, I hope it does well! Say if there was a console that ran Linux as the main OS, and you guys released physical copies of it on there as well, that'd be the icing on the cake! Maybe one way you could promote it is by having it reviewed by tech-related content creators (I watch Lazy Game Reviews, DistroTube, and Mental Outlaw, so check them out when sending it their way). Speaking of releasing physical copies, there's still a hunger for them (despite mainstream game developers wanting to go digital), so it wouldn't hurt to sell it in stores in response to that.

Update:
I posted a link to this thread in the status section of the site for you guys

Last edited by a moderator:
but we don't mean to break any rules of the forum.
I approved the post. That's how it got by the spam filter.

I am not a gamer, so I have no idea if the price is any good. I bet you'd get some reviews if you gave away a couple of 'em to our forum members. (You don't have to, obviously. But, they'd be more likely to play!)

Looks good if it was 2006 all over again.

Hi, guys!

Thanks a lot for approving the post and letting us talk about the game here, and also for your kind words and support. Definitely let us know if you try the game and you like it!

Its amazing to see an indie game that had a lot of effort put into it! Being that this is one example of how small passion-project gaming companies have the potential to become the norm, I hope it does well! Say if there was a console that ran Linux as the main OS, and you guys released physical copies of it on there as well, that'd be the icing on the cake! Maybe one way you could promote it is by having it reviewed by tech-related content creators (I watch Lazy Game Reviews, DistroTube, and Mental Outlaw, so check them out when sending it their way). Speaking of releasing physical copies, there's still a hunger for them (despite mainstream game developers wanting to go digital), so it wouldn't hurt to sell it in stores in response to that.

Update:
I posted a link to this thread in the status section of the site for you guys
Thank you post posting it in the status section, we really appreciate it! And thank you for recommending content creators. We've already been reaching out to some people in the community but we're willing to look into more.

Looks good if it was 2006 all over again.
This is intentional. :) Beyond Mankind is heavily influenced by ARPGs and other similar first person games of that era. That's why the game looks a bit like older narrative single-player games from that period of time.

Once again, thank you for your interest, guys!

Look at the reviews.

Look at the reviews.

While that's a valid point to make, I still wouldn't knock it before I try it. If anything, I'd take those negative reviews into consideration if I were to play it myself. It doesn't say which license it was released under (@Jutsun clear that up for us), but (hypothetically-speaking) if was an open-source one, anyone with a background in game development could fix whatever is wrong with it.

I think I'd start by being happy people were targeting Linux.

While that's a valid point to make, I still wouldn't knock it before I try it. If anything, I'd take those negative reviews into consideration if I were to play it myself. It doesn't say which license it was released under (@Jutsun clear that up for us), but (hypothetically-speaking) if was an open-source one, anyone with a background in game development could fix whatever is wrong with it.
Hi! The game is not open source, but we've released several patches with fixes and improvements that have made the game experience better overall since release, and we're listening closely to the community's feedback to look into any other issues that may arise.

It doesn't look like my type of game but I just purchased it to support you since it runs native on Linux. When I have time I will try and play it to see if I can get into it.

Attachments

• 2022-02-18_17_19_56.jpeg
    2022-02-18_17_19_56.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 248
I may buy it just to bot the achievements. My steam account has 100% completion on all games.

Hi! The game is not open source, but we've released several patches with fixes and improvements that have made the game experience better overall since release, and we're listening closely to the community's feedback to look into any other issues that may arise.

Just out of curiosity, did you look into open-source licenses (such as Creative Commons Attribution) and not find them appealing?

It doesn't look like my type of game but I just purchased it to support you since it runs native on Linux. When I have time I will try and play it to see if I can get into it.
Thank you for your support! This means a lot to us! If you feel like it, don't hesitate to leave a review, and if you need anything else don't hesitate to contact us.

Just out of curiosity, did you look into open-source licenses (such as Creative Commons Attribution) and not find them appealing?
I'm part of the communication team and I got involved in the game later on in the development, but the team probably decided on a license they were already familiar with from their previous games.

Thank you for your support! This means a lot to us! If you feel like it, don't hesitate to leave a review, and if you need anything else don't hesitate to contact us.
Will keep that in mind. Thanks!

I'm part of the communication team and I got involved in the game later on in the development, but the team probably decided on a license they were already familiar with from their previous games.

When I said "you", I was actually referring to your team. Do you know what license they went with?

Members online

Latest posts