vim isn't working

bryan hilliard

Reaction score
Credits
when i tried to edit code in vim it wont allow me to use the esc key to the ctrl + [ option to enter command mode
im getting frustrated becuz im trying to edit github code for scripts that i know i can fix but it wont allow me
so i thought maybe the code was read only or something
so i entered vim to just type the words WORK DAMN IT and it wont even allow me to save my only scrawlings

so i tried nano and nano worked
why is vim a heap of junk????
is there a bug in the kali repo???

Welcome to the forums,
first, are you an experienced Linux user?
second, I have asked this be moved to the kali subforum

┌──(root㉿kali)-[~]
└─# neofetch
Command 'neofetch' not found, but can be installed with:
apt install neofetch
Do you want to install it? (N/y)y
apt install neofetch
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kali-themes : Depends: kali-themes-common (= 2022.4.4) but 2023.3.1 is to be installed
systemd : Depends: libsystemd0 (= 252.11-1)
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

IM BRICKED UP HOMIE

┌──(root㉿kali)-[~]
└─# apt --fix-broken install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
kali-themes libsystemd0
The following packages will be upgraded:
kali-themes libsystemd0
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 989 not upgraded.
31 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/370 kB of archives.
After this operation, 9,216 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 434308 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../kali-themes_2023.3.1_all.deb ...
rm: cannot remove '/etc/xdg/plasma-workspace/env/kali-themes-purple.sh': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kali-themes_2023.3.1_all.deb (--unpack):
new kali-themes package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/kali-themes_2023.3.1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Although I am a member of another pen-testing, forum, I am not a red or blue team tester, just a hardware man. You could ask tuxbot [he is our AI] https://www.linux.org/forums/ask-tuxbot.205/
But the quality of the answer will depend on the accuracy of your Question, and there is NO NEED TO SHOUT as he won't understand!
Something like
"when i tried to edit code in vim it wont allow me to use the esc key to the ctrl + option to enter command mode, I tried nano and nano worked, why not vim"

┌──(root㉿kali)-[~]
└─# neofetch
.............. root@kali
..,;:ccc,. ---------
......''';lxO. OS: Kali GNU/Linux Rolling x86_64
.....''''..........,:ld; Host: HP Laptop 14-dq0xxx
.';;;:::;,,.x, Kernel: 6.3.0-kali1-amd64
..'''. 0Xxoc:,. ... Uptime: 14 mins
.... ,ONkc;,;cokOdc',. Packages: 3094 (dpkg)
. OMo ':ddo. Shell: zsh 5.9
dMc :OO; Resolution: 1920x1080
0M. .:eek:. WM: Xfwm4
;Wd Theme: Adwaita [GTK3]
;XO, Icons: Adwaita [GTK3]
,d0Odlc;,.. Terminal: x-terminal-emul
..',;:cdOOd::,. CPU: Intel Celeron N4020 (2) @ 2.800GHz
.:d;.':;. GPU: Intel GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 600]
'd, .' Memory: 683MiB / 3731MiB
;l ..
.o
c
.'
it is against my own judgement to really give this much system info to someone

NOONE IS SHOUTING LOL THIS DIRECTS ATTENTION no shouting here brother
Can you quit capslocking every word you type?

when i tried to edit code in vim it wont allow me to use the esc key to the ctrl + [ option to enter command mode
When I switch to command mode in my Kali vm with vim I'm not running into any problems. To switch to command mode from normal mode you enter ":" then you can start typing your command to save your file. Not sure what you are using ctrl+[ for?

Last edited:
ok u got it man, and thanks for clarifying that...
ive tried to use the esc keep to exit insert and enter command mode and it doesnt work and thats how ive always used vim

but what u said to do def worked thank you, you are appreciated

Did you hit ctrl+s at any point? Because ctrl+s stops the terminal from responding to input. So if you were using Vim in the terminal and you pressed ctrl+s (easy to do without thinking, since many applications use ctrl+s to save), the way to get the terminal to continue responding to input is to press ctrl+q.

Did you hit Ctrl+s at any point? Because Ctrl+s stops the terminal from responding to input. So if you were using Vim in the terminal and you pressed Ctrl+s (easy to do without thinking, since many applications use Ctrl+s to save), the way to get the terminal to continue responding to input is to press Ctrl+q.
Exactly, and the same goes for other terminal editors. Also, it's everyone's own fault if they use Vim. ;)

Not sure what you are using ctrl+[ for?
ctrl+[ is another built in vim keybind which generates an escape key hit. Allowing you to switch back to normal mode.

I’ve never had any problems with Vim in Kali (running in a VM, or on bare metal), so I’m not sure what’s causing the OP’s problem here.

It initially sounded like they were stuck in insert mode. If that’s the case - I’ve never seen that happen before. Escape, or ctrl+[ should always work.

The only situation where I’ve ever seen Vim stop responding to keys is when ctrl+s has been used to stop the terminal from responding to input. And as mentioned in my previous post, ctrl+q will resume the terminal.

It’s also worth noting that when the terminal is stopped via ctrl+s, all input received is buffered. So when the terminal is resumed with ctrl+q, all of the buffered input will be processed.

im getting frustrated becuz im trying to edit github code for scripts that i know i can fix but it wont allow me
so i thought maybe the code was read only or something
so i entered vim to just type the words WORK DAMN IT and it wont even allow me to save my only scrawlings

so i tried nano and nano worked
why is vim a heap of junk????
is there a bug in the kali repo???
Nano is your friend. Trust me.

Members online