Using Raspberry Pi 4 as a daily driver

Got it. I bought an enclosure too. took me about 30 minutes to assemble it.
Installed Raspberry pi os on a SD card.
connected it to a tv as I don't have a hdmi monitor.
There's a problem though. I bought 8GB model. But there's only 32bit version of raspbian. Is there any official version of 64bit? I couldn't find on internet

Twister os might be worth trying as it makes it feel like a desktop pc. And it's really easy to switch to 64-bit mode.
I checked, unfortunately there's no 64bit version of twister os. At last, decided to give Manjaro kde plasma a try.
Thanks btw

But you can switch to 64 bit once it's installed.
oh. forgot to check that.
nvm. spent whole last night downloading and installing several distros, and I'm too lazy to download another distro right now lol.
Manjaro works like a charm. I'll try twisteros after when I wreak havoc on Manjaro:D

Manjaro kde flies, it runs smooth. The arm64 beta of rpios runs well, no issues.

Manjaro kde flies, it runs smooth. The arm64 beta of rpios runs well, no issues.
yea, I'm currently rocking manjaro on RP4. everything works great

Final review after two days using RP4B 8GB Model:
Works fine. But clearly not ready to replace normal dekstop permenantly. Even though it has 8Ggigs of RAM, sometimes it struggles when doing multitasking (can't blame it. don't think anyone would buy a raspberry pi to do multitasking)
Manjaro KDE Plasma 64bit ARM is installed and it works perfectly fine on RP4. Nothing to complain about.

Final review after two days using RP4B 8GB Model:
Works fine. But clearly not ready to replace normal dekstop permenantly. Even though it has 8Ggigs of RAM, sometimes it struggles when doing multitasking (can't blame it. don't think anyone would buy a raspberry pi to do multitasking)
Manjaro KDE Plasma 64bit ARM is installed and it works perfectly fine on RP4. Nothing to complain about.
which Os have u been ruuning? You been running it with raspbian?? I found raspbian runs really well on raspberry pi 4

which Os have u been ruuning? You been running it with raspbian?? I found raspbian runs really well on raspberry pi 4
currently running Manjaro 64bit.
i installed raspbian at first, but raspbian doesn't have a 64bit version. So i decided to install manjaro.

If you want to run multiple distros this link may be the answer. Most are proven to work with 4gb boards not 8gb.
click the link below.
BerryBoot

currently running Manjaro 64bit.
i installed raspbian at first, but raspbian doesn't have a 64bit version. So i decided to install manjaro.
raspbians not a bad option because its optmized for the pi, i find it runs very smooth on raspbian

I installed Ubuntu MATE for Raspberry Pi on my 8GB PI4 mainly because it allowed direct installation to a USB SSD. It boots without an SD card being present.

I installed Ubuntu MATE for Raspberry Pi

I wondered if anyone would, after it was mentioned on page one of this thread.

I'm curious as to how you like it? Are things relatively smooth and bug-free?

I had some Pi, but my Pi have gone missing. So, I am just curious. I should get a new Pi.

Yes, I like it very much as a second low energy desktop, I was quite surprised how responsive it is. Well worth the money. I use it mainly with a USB DVB-T2 tuner for watching linear HDTV with VLC or Audacious for playing music files. Runs smoothly and not noticed any bugs to date,

Boots to full MATE desktop in about 35 seconds and takes about 15 seconds to initially load Firefox with 5 extensions but after that it runs smoothly. I use a 128GB SSD (NVMe) for the OS in a USB3.0. case. The Pi4 is inside one of those fully enclosed aluminum passive heat sink cases and it runs between 45C and 60C so no annoying fan noise.

My previous old Pi2B is reused for 'pi-hole' to block adverts and tracking at the LAN level. The PI2 is fine for that job.

Hmm... I wonder if it'll power a 4k monitor? I should do some reading.

The arm64 version of rpios works great.

I have four Pi 4s. One is a 2 Gig RAM NAS unit that I put togetyher when the Pi 4 was first announce and I got one of the first release. The other three, I play with. The three are 4 Gig RAM units and all boot fro USB SSD drives. One, I usually use for programming microcontrollers (Arduino, ESP32,
Raspberry Pico, etc).
I have hooked one to my 4K (65 inch) TV and used the TV as a monitor from my easy chair. Using standard RaspianOS.
I have installed various ARM distros on these, at one time or another, but I always drift back to RaspianOS, as that is the most stable of all the distros that I tried.
Oh, And I am retired with entirely too much free time on my hands, perhaps that explains why I have four Pis. :)

I have four Pi 4s. One is a 2 Gig RAM NAS unit that I put togetyher when the Pi 4 was first announce and I got one of the first release. The other three, I play with. The three are 4 Gig RAM units and all boot fro USB SSD drives. One, I usually use for programming microcontrollers (Arduino, ESP32,
Raspberry Pico, etc).
I have hooked one to my 4K (65 inch) TV and used the TV as a monitor from my easy chair. Using standard RaspianOS.
I have installed various ARM distros on these, at one time or another, but I always drift back to RaspianOS, as that is the most stable of all the distros that I tried.
Oh, And I am retired with entirely too much free time on my hands, perhaps that explains why I have four Pis. :)
yeah i also find raspbian runs best on pi 4. i abssolutely love my pi4 and use it as main driver at the mo!

i wonder when the pi 5 will come out and what spec it will be!

Members online