USB modem not being assigned a tty

hashtaq

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well.

I have a Huawei usb modem E8372h - 153, that I want to unlock. I am trying to send an AT command via minicom. Almost all the solutions that I have read rely upon the modem being assigned a tty. The problem is that my modem is not being assigned a tty. I have plugged the modem in two systems, ParrotOS and Kali and no tty. . I read in a forum that not all USB devices are assigned a tty. I am not posting the dmesg and other command outputs here for now. The modem works fine on both systems.

Both of my systems don't have /dev/ttyUSB devices. But I read in another place that /dev/ttyS* can be used for USB devices. Correct me if I am wrong.

The output of the udevadm monitor --udev --property command gives three DEVNAME of interest /dev/bus/usb/003/031, /dev/bsg/9:0:0:0, and /dev/sg2. The DEVPATH of all of them are /device/pcixxxxx.

I am thinking of using /dev/bus/usb/003/031 in minicom. But I suspect that since it is not a tty device, the commands won't go though making it useless. One forum mentioned symlinking /dev/modem in minicom to where the modem is attached in the system. I don't know where the modem is attached in the system. Some forums suggests defining rules in config files in the /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/ directory or the /etc/udev/rules.d directory but the files they mentioned are not present on both of my systems. Since this is beyond my understanding, I won't play with it without expert advice.

The last hint I have gotten is that the usb_modeswitch command can be used to attach the modem to a tty. But I don't know how to do that.

How do I attach a tty to my modem?

The Windows software unlockers also didn't work for me. Besides, I suspect they also inject spyware.

Staff online

Latest posts