Unable to use the system & software updater

PuraVida

Reaction score
Credits
I was updating Firefox for my Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia and something went wro
ng. Now I get the message:
E: Entrada 2 mal especificada en list fichero /etc/apt/sources.list (Suite)
E: No se ha podido bloquear el directorio de listas
Please help...I'm relatively new to Linux

The error message in English reads:
E:Malformed entry 2 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Suite), E:The list of sources could not be read.

Open your terminal and enter:

Code:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Then copy the output and paste it here, preferably inside the code tags like I used to share the command. A Mint user will then hopefully be able to spot the error and get you sorted out.

Well, what's 'ubuntuzilla' and why is it in your sources?

I don't have a Mint device right handy, so hopefully someone else will chime in. You can probably comment that line out and see if update works - but someone who knows what it is may know how to fix it. I've never seen it before in my life, so I'm hoping others will chime in.

Firefox is a Mozilla search engine. I suppose "ubuntuzilla" refers to Mozilla apps for ubuntu based systems in Linux, if it's legit to begin with. I'm sure there's a way to get back home, though. Thanks for your interest, time and comments.

It appears to be some Mozilla stuff - but I'm not sure what the point is and didn't dig into it.

I'd use nano to put a # at the start of the line that contains the reference to https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntuzilla/.

Then, I'd try running update again.

Thunderbird and Firefox are certainly in the default repos. I have no idea about Seamonkey as I don't use it.

Elevated danger level (yellow alert): Ubuntuzilla and UKUU
6.3. Ubuntuzilla, UKUU (Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility) and Mainline (a fork from UKUU) are more limited in scope, and pose no security risk. But you'd better avoid them as well:

Ubuntuzilla
6.3.1. Ubuntuzilla may cause strange malfunctions in Firefox, because the Ubuntuzilla version of Firefox is "original upstream software" which isn't completely adapted to and tested for your Mint version.

With Ubuntuzilla, you bypass the entire system of tweaks and quality checks that the Ubuntu and Mint developers apply to Firefox.... This endangers the stability and reliability of Firefox.

The above quoted from the link below.

I don't know exactly where it is located but somewhere in the Update Manager there is a place to reset the repositories back to default.

I suggest staying with the factory oem update sources and software repositories and anything outside of that go to the software source and download the file from there.

I was afraid of that, Nelson Muntz.
Thank you and KGIII.

Thank you all for your help and your knowledgeable tips.
I'll try to be more careful.

Members online