Ubuntu 18.04LTS full - chaos! a lot of customization problem even fr a fresh installation

can you explain the sentence "zorin is based on ubuntu "?? why based on ubuntu ? i thought ubuntu is using debian.. why don't you say Zorin is based on debian ?

sorry, i am just very confused.. but i am very eager to learn

can you explain the sentence "zorin is based on ubuntu "?? why based on ubuntu ? i thought ubuntu is using debian.. why don't you say Zorin is based on debian ?

sorry, i am just very confused.. but i am very eager to learn
Good question! I don't fully understand it myself, but will try to explain it, how I understand it.

You have the Linux kernel and then main branches of Linux based on the Linux kernel. Like Debian, Arch Linux and Fedora, that I'm using right now.

Some people then build Ubuntu on top of Debian to make it easier to use for people like me, who can't even install Debian. Other people then build still further on Ubuntu to make their own additions to it and change how it looks and works, like Zorin or Linux Mint.

As far as level of difficulty to install and use is concerned, Zorin is super easy to use because it comes with everything you need for it to work, right from the beginning, while say Fedora still needed changes made by me. like installing extra stuff for it to work like I want it to. So it's more intermediate difficulty Linux.

In conclusion, Zorin is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu is based on Debian. Some practical differences are that updates don't break programs in Zorin or Ubuntu when they update, while stuff tend to break more often on Arch Linux based Manjaro.

Software in Debian tend to be older than newer version on Ubuntu and it's dirrivates, becuase some people beleive older means more stable. My expereince is that stuff can break on say Q40S based on Debian Stable and also on Solus that have newer versions of software programs and also the latest stable Linux Kernel.

Hope that helps. The other people like Arochester would probably give a better explanation than me.

Ubuntu 18.04 should work just fine, and if you installed one of the later point releases it will have the HWE stack, and I believe that is normally a 5.0.0.-kernel. And again that or the 4.15.- kernel should be fine. I didn't watch the entire YouTube video, but I wouldn't inflict any of that nonsense on my machine without understanding why it's needed.

Inxi shows decent specs, and I would just stay as close to stock as possible. Once you are sure that what you have is stable, then you can start adding apps as you choose. I see that your /home partition is sized at 28GB and already has 25GB of something - I suppose a lot of data/downloads/videos could do that. But with 250GB of space to work with, I think there may be a better solution.

I agree that a fresh install of 18.04 would help. Personally, and entirely your call, I use separate / and /home partitions, along with a SWAP partition equal to RAM. A good size for / is 30GB, and with SWAP of 8GB (or thereabouts), the rest of the drive can be /home. You can do that in the installer with the "something else" option. I don't know what /dev/sdb is, are you dual booting? That's fine. I don't like it, or even encourage it, unless there is something in Windows that helps you prevent the universe from collapsing ;)

If you are not comfortable with "something else", then just let Ubuntu do the sizing for you.

I come from a Kubuntu background, where I have lived for a dozen or so years. Before that I used a bunch of different Linux and BSD distros for several years after saying goodbye to Windows on my personal machines. The *buntu distros can be a real joy to work in, but you need to treat them right. Install, get to know it, then start installing things. Use the stock repos. Avoid the PPAs, except for the really well behaved ones. Do your own research, and make use of the forums - especially those that have a good solid *buntu following. And finally, learn to be a skeptic. A lot of YouTubers are really good, but a whole bunch just want the $$.

omg! i was busy with getting some info (nothing to do with ubuntu) on from internet.. and in between i did some simple upgrade or is it update on terminal when i came across some instruction on the web.. and i logged out and realized the ubuntu classic gnome DE works ok now.. what on earth .!! this is the DE where i have gnome extension installed, dash to dock, or dash to panel thingy..

so, now i have not even a slightest idea what went wrong with my newly installed ubuntu.. i just know wayland is horrible, a lot of thing not running on it, as i have setup my whole ubuntu using xorg.

maybe i wronged wayland.. if i had setup the whole ubuntu using wayland, then maybe there won't be such problem on wayland, instead, the problems will be on xorg desktop..
lol

crazy!!

thx guys for helping. if anymore problem i will update.. and i might just find time to try zorin out.. since it is something different. i don't like distro hoping.. beucase just a waste of my time, have to learn everything and keyboard shortcut and stuff...

Last edited:
good enough for me.
thank you. a very good epxlaination for lay man like me. lol

thanks
Good question! I don't fully understand it myself, but will try to explain it, how I understand it.

You have the Linux kernel and then main branches of Linux based on the Linux kernel. Like Debian, Arch Linux and Fedora, that I'm using right now.

Some people then build Ubuntu on top of Debian to make it easier to use for people like me, who can't even install Debian. Other people then build still further on Ubuntu to make their own additions to it and change how it looks and works, like Zorin or Linux Mint.

As far as level of difficulty to install and use is concerned, Zorin is super easy to use because it comes with everything you need for it to work, right from the beginning, while say Fedora still needed changes made by me. like installing extra stuff for it to work like I want it to. So it's more intermediate difficulty Linux.

In conclusion, Zorin is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu is based on Debian. Some practical differences are that updates don't break programs in Zorin or Ubuntu when they update, while stuff tend to break more often on Arch Linux based Manjaro.

Software in Debian tend to be older than newer version on Ubuntu and it's dirrivates, becuase some people beleive older means more stable. My expereince is that stuff can break on say Q40S based on Debian Stable and also on Solus that have newer versions of software programs and also the latest stable Linux Kernel.

Hope that helps. The other people like Arochester would probably give a better explanation than me.

i did separate / , /root and swap. i even separate /home.
it is the advice from joe collins or someone on youtube. i did do so understanding and found it is good.

just that after doing that, if i want to clonezilla my whole entire system, (so that i can reduplicate the same system without installing them over and over if any problem or hdd dead.) , i am not sure now how do i clonezilla it ... clonezilla the whole hdd or clone all 3 partitions separately.. and when i do it separately , i fear it will not boot up, due to either bootsector error, or partition sequence error.. simply a big question mark in my head.

i clonezilla my windows system (clean installed and good configured to my need), and i restored it manytime. sometime due to trojan, sometime virus, another time on my wife computer (different computer just install new driver and remove the old drivers) and everything works flowlessly.. fast and easy. .why reinstall from beginning ?

andrew

Ubuntu 18.04 should work just fine, and if you installed one of the later point releases it will have the HWE stack, and I believe that is normally a 5.0.0.-kernel. And again that or the 4.15.- kernel should be fine. I didn't watch the entire YouTube video, but I wouldn't inflict any of that nonsense on my machine without understanding why it's needed.

Inxi shows decent specs, and I would just stay as close to stock as possible. Once you are sure that what you have is stable, then you can start adding apps as you choose. I see that your /home partition is sized at 28GB and already has 25GB of something - I suppose a lot of data/downloads/videos could do that. But with 250GB of space to work with, I think there may be a better solution.

I agree that a fresh install of 18.04 would help. Personally, and entirely your call, I use separate / and /home partitions, along with a SWAP partition equal to RAM. A good size for / is 30GB, and with SWAP of 8GB (or thereabouts), the rest of the drive can be /home. You can do that in the installer with the "something else" option. I don't know what /dev/sdb is, are you dual booting? That's fine. I don't like it, or even encourage it, unless there is something in Windows that helps you prevent the universe from collapsing ;)

If you are not comfortable with "something else", then just let Ubuntu do the sizing for you.

I come from a Kubuntu background, where I have lived for a dozen or so years. Before that I used a bunch of different Linux and BSD distros for several years after saying goodbye to Windows on my personal machines. The *buntu distros can be a real joy to work in, but you need to treat them right. Install, get to know it, then start installing things. Use the stock repos. Avoid the PPAs, except for the really well behaved ones. Do your own research, and make use of the forums - especially those that have a good solid *buntu following. And finally, learn to be a skeptic. A lot of YouTubers are really good, but a whole bunch just want the $$.

maybe i wronged wayland.. if i had setup the whole ubuntu using wayland, then maybe there won't be such problem on wayland, instead, the problems will be on xorg desktop..
lol
I am using Fedora 31 now and it uses wayland too. After an update it hanged for about 10 minutes and started working again after I tried ctrl+alt+delete! I got a Windows flashback!

good for you, because if i do a distro hop, i will died in confusion.lol
I am using Fedora 31 now and it uses wayland too. After an update it hanged for about 10 minutes and started working again after I tried ctrl+alt+delete! I got a Windows flashback!

good for you, because if i do a distro hop, i will died in confusion.lol
I also use to distro hop terribly and then I got too tired of setting up everything again and forgetting some password to accounts.

That said, I started hopping again, after Zorin got boring because everything just works. Jump to Solus this year and then some things didn't work after the kernel updated. Then to Fedora.

So that's just two hops so far in 2020. My condition is getting better.

I have Kubuntu 18.04 LTS on my desktop unit and Bodhi 5 on my old Toshiba laptop. Both work well, are very stable, and do what I need them to do. IF I distro hop it will be on my laptop, as it is my playground machine. I haven't tried every distro, but I have tried several including some BSDs. If they install, they all work fine. I have had to pay a lot of attention on some of the installers - some provide plenty of opportunity to go sideways. Once installed, I check to make sure they run somewhat correctly, then and only then do I try any updates. When doing that, I go slow and check that I haven't installed something weird and unstable/unusable. That's actually pretty hard to do.

On my Kubuntu machine I currently have one PPA. PPAs can be useful, they can also drive your system to insanity. I almost never install some random .deb that is not in the repos, or in my one PPA. I can pretty count on one hand the number of such loose .deb files that I have EVER installed on any *buntu or Debian-like distro.

I'm not into this to cause or cure any sort of boredom, I insist that my computer be stable and fully useful. maybe not so much on my playground, but very definitely on my main, desktop unit.

My advice to you would be to install a good, well-known, respected, distro. Run it, and then see what problems pop up. Fix those problems (if any) first, then roll slow on your changes - and at the first sight of instability go to your favorite forum anf find a fix. Then proceed - wash, rinse, repeat.

@jglen490 & @lekkerlinux

i still have a confusion need your advice:

as i have posted on the above url.
Screenshot from 2020-03-12 15-26-15.png

this is a 1TB hdd that i just bought, it is for a friend of mine who dropped her laptop. laptop was find, but hdd is dead.
i installed the new hdd into her laptop and plugged in a live usb ubuntu and ran from it.

i used "something else" to make those partitions and installed the ubuntu onto the hdd.

the partitioning scheme was like this: sdf1= /boot (2G), sdf2= / (50G) , sdf3 = /swap (15G) , sdf4 = /home (200G), sdf5 = /data (remaining of space)

but once i removed the usb stick, to boot from the installed hdd, it said: no bootable os found.

so, last night , i removed the hdd from the laptop and plugged into my desktop , the mounting point created was confusing, because i have several hdd on this pc. hence i gone nut, renamed them in a proper naming as what you saw above in gparted..

so, my questions are:
in Gparted there : partition name, label name for each partitions, and mounting point.
the gparted photo below is my current work desktop hdd.

Why this hdd only have mount point ? not partition name, no label for each partition ?

What is the best size for /boot , /root partitions ? if i am installing some other linux in the future ?

is 2Gig of /boot enough for me to have 3 distro installed (don't consider my hdd total space, this is just a question so that i know in future if i have a bigger disk how i should partition them most efficiently without wasting space and enough for upgrade to multi boot)?

* i asked this question because apparently i don't know where new additional os gonna put their data load into.
for example, if i gonna install a 2nd linux onto this hdd, which partition will increase in data size ?
will /boot partition get more data from 2nd os ? how much ?

i know /root and /home /swap will no need to change. because each new os will have to have their own /root and /home (some ppl said we can share /home, so that no need to install software 2 times , one for each linux)

this is my main os hdd (is /boot space is too big for upgrade to multi boot in the future) ?
and will /root not enough if i install more packages / software onto it in the future ) ? * where packages and software put their data in ? /root or /home ?

this is the hdd that i installed for my friend on the laptop which original partition scheme was as follows (the one that said no bootable os found):
sdf1= /boot , sdf2= / , sdf3 = /swap , sdf4 = /home , sdf5 = /data

so why this hdd , unlike above, this hdd have partition name, partition label and mount point ?

i can have any label name as i wish , surely,.

i think i can have any partition name as i wish.. right ?

but as for mount point, i should not have change it to /mnt/boot-xuna.. ?
or i can change it ?
i changed it to boot-xuna is to make myself easy with recognizing which partition is my interest instead of messing up my current os running /boot partition ...

i thought the NAME (partition name) is the one that i should kept it not changed.
which is which ? which is the one that os looks at in order to boot up if i gonna install this hdd into my friend's laptop ?

thx
I have Kubuntu 18.04 LTS on my desktop unit and Bodhi 5 on my old Toshiba laptop. Both work well, are very stable, and do what I need them to do. IF I distro hop it will be on my laptop, as it is my playground machine. I haven't tried every distro, but I have tried several including some BSDs. If they install, they all work fine. I have had to pay a lot of attention on some of the installers - some provide plenty of opportunity to go sideways. Once installed, I check to make sure they run somewhat correctly, then and only then do I try any updates. When doing that, I go slow and check that I haven't installed something weird and unstable/unusable. That's actually pretty hard to do.

On my Kubuntu machine I currently have one PPA. PPAs can be useful, they can also drive your system to insanity. I almost never install some random .deb that is not in the repos, or in my one PPA. I can pretty count on one hand the number of such loose .deb files that I have EVER installed on any *buntu or Debian-like distro.

I'm not into this to cause or cure any sort of boredom, I insist that my computer be stable and fully useful. maybe not so much on my playground, but very definitely on my main, desktop unit.

My advice to you would be to install a good, well-known, respected, distro. Run it, and then see what problems pop up. Fix those problems (if any) first, then roll slow on your changes - and at the first sight of instability go to your favorite forum anf find a fix. Then proceed - wash, rinse, repeat.

yup. i experienced it. causing havoc to my DE

There are some PPAs that are well maintained and are reliable however some aren't and can cause instability issues and other problems so kinda hit and miss from my experience.

@jglen490 & @lekkerlinux

i still have a confusion need your advice:

as i have posted on the above url.
View attachment 5706

this is a 1TB hdd that i just bought, it is for a friend of mine who dropped her laptop. laptop was find, but hdd is dead.
i installed the new hdd into her laptop and plugged in a live usb ubuntu and ran from it.

i used "something else" to make those partitions and installed the ubuntu onto the hdd.

the partitioning scheme was like this: sdf1= /boot (2G), sdf2= / (50G) , sdf3 = /swap (15G) , sdf4 = /home (200G), sdf5 = /data (remaining of space)

but once i removed the usb stick, to boot from the installed hdd, it said: no bootable os found.

so, last night , i removed the hdd from the laptop and plugged into my desktop , the mounting point created was confusing, because i have several hdd on this pc. hence i gone nut, renamed them in a proper naming as what you saw above in gparted..

so, my questions are:
in Gparted there : partition name, label name for each partitions, and mounting point.
the gparted photo below is my current work desktop hdd.

Why this hdd only have mount point ? not partition name, no label for each partition ?

What is the best size for /boot , /root partitions ? if i am installing some other linux in the future ?

is 2Gig of /boot enough for me to have 3 distro installed (don't consider my hdd total space, this is just a question so that i know in future if i have a bigger disk how i should partition them most efficiently without wasting space and enough for upgrade to multi boot)?

* i asked this question because apparently i don't know where new additional os gonna put their data load into.
for example, if i gonna install a 2nd linux onto this hdd, which partition will increase in data size ?
will /boot partition get more data from 2nd os ? how much ?

i know /root and /home /swap will no need to change. because each new os will have to have their own /root and /home (some ppl said we can share /home, so that no need to install software 2 times , one for each linux)

this is my main os hdd (is /boot space is too big for upgrade to multi boot in the future) ?
and will /root not enough if i install more packages / software onto it in the future ) ? * where packages and software put their data in ? /root or /home ?

View attachment 5707

this is the hdd that i installed for my friend on the laptop which original partition scheme was as follows (the one that said no bootable os found):
sdf1= /boot , sdf2= / , sdf3 = /swap , sdf4 = /home , sdf5 = /data

so why this hdd , unlike above, this hdd have partition name, partition label and mount point ?

i can have any label name as i wish , surely,.

i think i can have any partition name as i wish.. right ?

but as for mount point, i should not have change it to /mnt/boot-xuna.. ?
or i can change it ?
i changed it to boot-xuna is to make myself easy with recognizing which partition is my interest instead of messing up my current os running /boot partition ...

i thought the NAME (partition name) is the one that i should kept it not changed.
which is which ? which is the one that os looks at in order to boot up if i gonna install this hdd into my friend's laptop ?
View attachment 5706

thx
I just use the auto partitioning feature and choose install alongside the current OS, if I have some other Linux on the box.

I still don't know if your machine has UEFI firmware, or which machine this is!

And it makes a difference. I see a fat32 partition with a small amount of data which might be an ESP partition - or not. Can't see the flags in your gparted screen shot.

If you are booting on a UEFI machine, it will look for boot files in a very specific place and a directory structure that has a specific name.

So let's start with the basic question: are you trying to boot a UEFI machine with a disk drive that has a GPT partition table?

yes, uefi laptop, hdd with gpt partition table, /boot is efi partition.
Screenshot from 2020-03-12 20-17-33.png

I still don't know if your machine has UEFI firmware, or which machine this is!

And it makes a difference. I see a fat32 partition with a small amount of data which might be an ESP partition - or not. Can't see the flags in your gparted screen shot.

If you are booting on a UEFI machine, it will look for boot files in a very specific place and a directory structure that has a specific name.

So let's start with the basic question: are you trying to boot a UEFI machine with a disk drive that has a GPT partition table?

That's why I was asking about UEFI! And for that matter, dual boot. They each and both make a difference in how you are set up.

Members online