trying to install turnkey linux distro to chromebox, but rufus/balenaetcher only write in MBR mode whereas Chromebox only boots from UEFI

misterprimus

Reaction score
Credits
What the title says. Trying to get this: https://www.turnkeylinux.org/mediaserver

Onto a USB drive to boot from it and install into SAMSUNG CHROMEBOX XE 300 M22-BO1US. However Unetbootin and BalenaEtcher appear to only write it in MBR mode and both of these fail to boot on the Chromebox. Ventoy in UEFI mode boots but these isos if I boot them from Ventoy fail. What is the solution? Keep getting boot from usb failed: verify it is 64 bit uefi OS.

Welcome to the forums
changing to Linux on a Chromebook is not as simple as other machines, you must invoke developer mode before you can start
you will need a Chromebook with at least 64gb hard drive and 4 GB ram, Many chromebooks have arm processors, so make sure if yours does you download an arm compliant Linux distribution
for basic chrome instructions see

Many chromebooks have arm processors, so make sure if yours does you download an arm compliant Linux distribution
for basic chrome instructions see

FWIW, I looked it up yesterday and Google said it was running an i5 CPU. So, there's that. I didn't see any reason for me to respond as I know nothing about Chromebooks.

FWIW, I looked it up yesterday and Google said it was running an i5 CPU. So, there's that. I didn't see any reason for me to respond as I know nothing about Chromebooks.
Fine, mine was the generic response to Chromebook installations

Fine, mine was the generic response to Chromebook installations

LOL You're kinda an additional reason why I didn't answer 'em the first time. I was like, "Nah, Brick will get this one. He likes helping people install Linux."

We need to get you a Chromebook, so that you can learn how to install Linux on it and have more information to help folks with these questions.

We need to get you a Chromebook, so that you can learn how to install Linux on it and have more information to help folks with these questions.
There is a worse one than chromebooks, with a Pinebook Pro you have to get into it to turn off the eMMC from a switch, as it doesn't have a traditional UEFI/bios and use a cl10/15 Sd card to make the installation

Pinebook Pro

LOL I almost bought one to play with a while back. It's even got an M.2 expansion port so that you can add another disk. The last time I looked, they were out of stock. Right now, it appears the UK version is out of stock. but a US keyboard version is in stock.

Principle is the same
I don't know, never owned a chromebook, so figured there was a relevant difference.

Anyway I gave up and just installed a headless Debian server (came with UEFI option for the ISO) and manually installed jellyfin on it. Seems to be working fine.

Last edited:
Ok, keep a close eye on it for a few days

Latest posts