Trying to Install Mint 21 Cinnamon from DVD on older HP Laptop - Black Screen After Selecting from Boot Menu

invaliduserid

Reaction score
Credits
I created a Mint 21 Cinnamon DVD and am attempting to Install on an old HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop that has an AMD TURION64 and an Nvidia GEFORCE GO 7150m Graphics Card.

After I boot from dvd, I see the screen that shows “GNU GRUB VERSION 2.06” at the top, and then the following options below it

Start Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon 64-bit
Start Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon 64-bit (compatibility mode)
OEM INSTALL (for manufacturers)
Test Memory

Regardless of which option I select (I have tried all) it just goes to a black screen with the cursor blinking in the upper left corner. I left it there thinking it was taking a while to load, but even after an hour it’s still the same.

I am a Linux noob and am trying to install so I can get started learning some of the basics. Is there any way to get this installed?

The laptop currently has Mint 8 installed on it but I can’t do anything and it doesn’t allow me to update anything i just get errors that server’s can’t be accessed.

Thanks all.

Did you try installing any else distro other than Mint?
Also, did you check the checksum of the downloaded iso?

The laptop currently has Mint 8 installed on it but I can’t do anything and it doesn’t allow me to update anything
Welcome to the forums,
Mint 8 reached its end of life in april 2011 there have been no updates since then
HP Pavilion dv9000 is a 2008 vintage machine, it may be usb bootable [this is the era where the change over started] you can find out by checking the BIOS settings,
there is a slim chance it may only have a 32bit motherboard, in which case you will need mintDE 32 bit [if you want to stick with mint]
Mint 8 only required 1gb of ram 2 gb for best performance, the current versions recommend 4 gb ram unless you have upgraded it at some time , I doubt it has much more than 1gb possibly only 500kb [second hand ram for a machine that old is cheap]

Did you try installing any else distro other than Mint?
Also, did you check the checksum of the downloaded iso?
Haven’t tried another distro yet. Any recommendations for a machine this old? It has 4GB of ram. Yes - did the checksum of the iso.

Welcome to the forums,
Mint 8 reached its end of life in april 2011 there have been no updates since then
HP Pavilion dv9000 is a 2008 vintage machine, it may be usb bootable [this is the era where the change over started] you can find out by checking the BIOS settings,
there is a slim chance it may only have a 32bit motherboard, in which case you will need mintDE 32 bit [if you want to stick with mint]
Mint 8 only required 1gb of ram 2 gb for best performance, the current versions recommend 4 gb ram unless you have upgraded it at some time , I doubt it has much more than 1gb possibly only 500kb [second hand ram for a machine that old is cheap]
Thank you so much. I created the dvd because I wasn’t able to do a USB boot. This machine has 4GB of ram and 64bit amd turion. I was thinking I’d try another distro but not sure which one would be best for this machine considering it’s age.

4GB of ram
:)if it has 4gigs, it's not old in linux world. Almost any distro can be run on 4gigs. You can try Zorin OS Lite or Ubuntu or one of it's spins (xubuntu, lubuntu, ubuntu mate...).

You may want to check Brickwizard's reply. Give Mint another chance using a USB drive.

I run older machines than that, but we will talk of my 2010 laptop which is the closes in spec to yours [except mine is usb bootable] It will run almost any distribution, mine currently runs Mint, Parrot, and Debian with driver pack, it has also run perfectly, MX-22, Ubuntu, and several others,
check my how do I install Linux link,

That's better, the old wizard has been fed and water, some thoughts for you to consider when making your installation medium.
Your optical drive [if original] is probably well-used to get the best possible burn of the bootable image.
1] make sure the optics are clean [preferably, use a proprietary disc drive cleaner
2] use a good quality blank DVD-r disk and make sure it is clean before inserting [I do not recommend DVD+r, DVD-Rw or +Rw for this job on a computer of that age]
3] when you burn the ISO use a lower burn speed, not max, [I know it will take longer but 2or 3x normaly makes for a better burn]
4] do not try rushing, just take your time and check yourself so you do not miss any steps.

When you try to install some distributions will ask what mode you wish to use, so choose legacy, [others will make that choice for you]

I am in timezone GMT[utc/zulu] and Monitor this forum between 0700 and 2200 hrs, depending on your timezone there may be a delay in my answering

That's better, the old wizard has been fed and water, some thoughts for you to consider when making your installation medium.
Your optical drive [if original] is probably well-used to get the best possible burn of the bootable image.
1] make sure the optics are clean [preferably, use a proprietary disc drive cleaner
2] use a good quality blank DVD-r disk and make sure it is clean before inserting [I do not recommend DVD+r, DVD-Rw or +Rw for this job on a computer of that age]
3] when you burn the ISO use a lower burn speed, not max, [I know it will take longer but 2or 3x normaly makes for a better burn]
4] do not try rushing, just take your time and check yourself so you do not miss any steps.

When you try to install some distributions will ask what mode you wish to use, so choose legacy, [others will make that choice for you]

I am in timezone GMT[utc/zulu] and Monitor this forum between 0700 and 2200 hrs, depending on your timezone there may be a delay in my answering
sincere thanks for the detailed explanation and thoughts. I did use an old dvd-r with a newer external burner on my primary pc but the disc is quite old and i used max burn speed. I will be able to try some more tonight after work. Thank you so much again.

Hello @invaliduserid,
Welcome to the Forum, Than machine should boot and run mint without too much of a problem. But you should download and burn a new version 20.x or 22.x There are several things that can cause black screens on boot on is the video card in the machine. If it is Nvidia you'll need to do some manipulations to get it going. But you should be able to boot to the live session and get to a desktop. MX-21 would be a distro also.
If you can get to the live session then you can go to a terminal and isssue this command and post the results back here it would give us something to go on in helping you to get it going.

Code:
inxi -Fxxzr

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online