Tried to install Linux again...

Niko142

Reaction score
Credits
Ok so the other day I tried to install lubuntu on my computer. Everything went well untill I tried to install the distro. The installed asked me if I want to have a manual install and create my own partition or erase everything. I decided to erase everything since it would be a easier solution to remove the Linux mint that I already had installed. While the install was happening my computer restarted(the install didn't finish I think) and after that it was stuck at "verifying dmi pool data" I looked into this issue tried to change my primary boot drive but it seems that it doesn't recognise the hdd at all since at the top where it says "primary boot drive" it is empty even though in the bios my HDD is listed first.

Something else that was happening is that I tried to restart the process. And I found out that my HDD now was named as sd2 and it was basically empty. So I tried to install the distro again this time manually and while doing so the computer restarted and then it simply just reset the process of launching at installing Linux. So now I am stuck at a boot loop pretty much and I can't even do anything but joing the bios. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue.

(Sorry for any mistake I need to brush up my English again)

I would use a live USB or a system rescue USB stick, something like Gparted and boot from that USB drive.
I would re-create the partition table on the disk. Don't worry about creating any partitions or doing any formatting, the install will do all that for you.

Also, make sure to check the integrity of the Lubuntu .iso to make sure it's not corrupt.
If the signatures don't match start a fresh download of Lubuntu-:)

Gparted Live.... a great tool for partitioning HDD's.

While the install was happening my computer restarted(the install didn't finish I think) and after that it was stuck at "verifying dmi pool data" I looked into this issue tried to change my primary boot drive but it seems that it doesn't recognise the hdd at all since at the top where it says "primary boot drive" it is empty even though in the bios my HDD is listed first.
That the machine restarted is not normal during an installation. Rather, the installer usually tells the user to restart after the installation completes, so it's a user generated action at that point.
So I tried to install the distro again this time manually and while doing so the computer restarted and then it simply just reset the process of launching at installing Linux.
There are numerous possibilities for the problems described and for each one, it would be useful to check as far as possible. Here's a list of possible issues and the checks that can be made by using a live disk or a rescue disk such as systemrescue:

Insufficient or faulty RAM: - check RAM with memtest86+ from the live disk.
Overheating: - check temperatures with lm-sensors from the live disk.
Faulty storage drive: - check the hard drive with smartctl from the live disk.
Corrupted installation media: - verify the install media with the shasums.
Incompatible drivers: - if your hardware is unusual, research the issues for such hardware.
Power supply issues: - to check the power supply can be a bit more involved requiring the use of a multimeter, but probably only needs to be checked if all the other tests don't find any problem.

man i remember when i successfully installed a distro.

on topic: um.. it could be the install medium/hardware compatibility with os. is it an old machine from like 2010? idk if contemporary distro releases support really old hardware like from 2005

i should had said its probably the install medium and what the guy above said, for me i had trouble because i was installing from disk and it didnt quite support my hardware until i found a version of a distro that worked. it was the diskreader and /software not supporting my hardware.

Staff online

Members online