Tried Debian Live from USB - Now Windows Internet Connection Broken

Quodlicube

Reaction score
Credits
I have just tried Debian live from a USB drive as a first time Linux user.
Everything worked fine including internet in Debian.
I then re-started my machine and booted back into Windows and found that I have lost all internet connectivity!
If I boot back into Debian live the internet is working.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could happen and how I might solve it?

Thanks.

A live USB should have no impact on the installed system.

Did you do anything to the hard drive while you were booted? Did you mount it and change anything?

While it may sound like a cop-out, this could be entirely coincidental. Again, a live USB should have no impact on the installed operating system.

I don't believe I did anything to the hard drive.
And, yes, it could be coincidental but it's one of those where it seems too coincidental!! But then, they always do.
I will do some more investigating tomorrow and post back if I get any more insight.
Thanks for your reply.

Ok - turns out, when I re-booted back into Windows I used the "Restart..." option on the "Power Off / Log Out" drop down in Debian.
Also, when I re-booted from Windows I always used the "Restart" option.
This always resulted in no internet in windows.

I just re-booted from Debian using the "Power Off..." option instead and when I then booted into windows the internet was back.

Duplicated the issue by going back into Debian and re-booting with the "Restart..." option and got the same result as before - no windows internet.

For completeness, tried the "Shut down" option from windows and on reboot internet was back.

Would love to know exactly why this happens but the problem is now resolved - I have to use the "Power Off..." option and not the "Restart..." option.

It is coincidence - live distro as you booted doesn’t impact on any distro or os on the hard drive. Welcome to the forums.

When you use the re-start option, you are asking the computer to re-start the OS you are using it is not a full re-start, power off clears the memory, re-sets the bios and boots the main OS. so
suspend puts to sleep the OS you are using
re-boot, only re-boots the OS you are using
shut down/power off clears the OS you are using, enabling the computer to be re-started to another.

Members online