Transitioning from Windows to Linux Mint

TIL: Mint shows Flatpaks somewhere for you to install them.

I had no idea. I haven't dug out the location (I assume it's in the software manager somehow), but that's kind of neat. I'd never notice that 'cause I do all my software installation from the terminal, including installing Flatpaks.

2023-08-20_09-43.png

Flatpaks can be installed from the Update Manager too.
m1213.gif

There is even an app called 'Flatsweep' ....it clears any leftover files from flatpaks

Available in the LM repository

Well, I seem to see that I really can't add anything useful being others have a good handle on things. I'm in the same situation as you-switching from Win-Doze to Linux. First I was on Mint 19.1-now on Cinnamon. I'm fairly happy with it minus a few minor problems and learning curve issues. Other than that, I'm not complaining that much. I have not had to use Timeshift...yet. But did try to revert the HD back once when on Mint. Did not know there was such a program on this OS. I believe MS has a program called "Go-Back" which you had to install. It was a fairly easy program that allowed you to choose setting things back to a desired point on HD. But that was then, this is now.

Attachments

• XXXX 41PX-IBM excellence-imgur.com.jpg
    XXXX 41PX-IBM excellence-imgur.com.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 105
And I want to install Brave browser safe to run these commands in my terminal? https://brave.com/linux/
Yes, quite safe.
I have been running brave browser for quite some time now. I downloaded mine from the Software Manager......(click on menu...type in software manager...type brave browser into that....and there it is. Using it from the software manager/repository, makes sure it constantly updates via the Update Manager in Linux Mint etc

You ask a lot of questions re safety....and that's a good thing. Any advice you get here from well known members will guide you in the right direction.
Remember that safety begins with you. Regardless of "safe" a browser is, if you access dodgy websites ot open emails from unknowns senders etc etc...then your safety goes out the door.

It will be an excellent idea to make the acquaintance of Timeshift. It saves snapshots of your system to an external drive......which can be restored easily just in case something goes screwy on you. Those snapshots can be altered to include the entire /home directory and the /root as well.
Keeping two snapshots is usually sufficient. Read carefully what timeshift will NOT save.

Just for the exercise, make brave browser your first download from software manager, ....That will go a long way toward getting you used to how it works. You will then discover, if you open update manage and look under edit at software sources.....which will show an additional repositoriy for brave...also an authentication key......which in a nutshell tells you that system is aware you have downloaded from the software manager and tht it is to update it when updates land in the Update Manager.

On that topic of updates....in the area around the clock...bottom right hand corner of the desktop.....there will be a 'shield' shaped icon......if that has a tiny red dot on it....that tells you there are updates available.
Remember this is NOT windows....where you reach for a bottle of scotch or vodka at the very sound of the word 'updates.

Click on the icon......click on install...fill in your password and sit back.

If a reboot is required, it will tell you in big letters across the top of the update window.
Make sure you do reboot. This usually only the case when a new kernel is downloaded and installed (it happened today, here)

I could ramble on forver.....but ai have probably already put a whole boatload of question into your head.

Ask away !!!

Members online