Total Solar Eclipse of April 8, 2024

The Duck

Reaction score
Credits
Total Eclipse 2024.
It may not be able to be viewed everywhere although where I live we will have 94% totality.

We have the special glasses for viewing although we are using this method also.

Diagram of a box pinhole projector.

Or this method.
An eclipse projector is an easy and safe way to view the eclipsed sun.

Either of them work very well.

Lucky that you all get to see it!

The way we did it in the olden days before all of the so called trusted safe eclipse glasses.

@f33dm3bits
Man that's a drag that you're unable to actually view the eclipse. :(

I saw on the local news where a man from Germany came to Oklahoma to view it.

I don't know if I'd do that but you never know.

Okay we got our 94% and that's all we were going to get and it was cool.
It's still fairly dark around here although still daylight and getting brighter again.
Thanking the Lord for the lack of cloud cover which we were supposed to have.

@f33dm3bits
Thanks for the videos.

I wish I could have seen it in person! It looks amazing on the steam, must be even more amazing in person!

Well, it's dark. I sacrificed a chicken, so I'm hopeful that the Sun comes back.

I have high hopes.

I was going to go take a picture. Instead, I just stuck my head outside. People with far better skills/cameras will have taken pictures. (It's just the moon between us and the Sun.)

It just so happens that the moon is currently at the right distance for it to be a total eclipse. That will change slowly, as the moon moves away from the planet. As I recall, it's a factor of 4. The moon is 40 times smaller than the planet and Sun is some factor of that away from us. Something like that...

I knew it!

I went to Reddit and found not just an eclipse picture but an eclipse picture from Rangeley...

5goclwqv6btc1.jpeg

See? That saved me time and effort. I knew someone would take pictures.

Also, judging by the picture and the hills behind the lake, my house is to the left and a couple of mountains away. So, you can't see my house from there.

Oops, I missed (or forgot about) this thread. I live in Indiana, but my wife and I drove about 3.5 hours to get near the center of totality... we got 3 minutes and 57 seconds of it. Our unplanned destination was a little fishing hole named, Province Pond, south of Muncie, IN. There were only about 10 cars in the small parking lot, and we just stumbled upon it after arriving early. It could not have been better!

Words fail me to describe how awe-inspiring it was to witness it. It was more than worth the time, and crowded highways to attend. If you ever get another chance to see a total eclipse... don't miss it!

My wife got some photos on her cellphone, but really not good. All of mine were overexposed with both cell phone and a small pocket camera. We are not photographers and were ill prepared. But a friend of my wife's met us there, and this is his photo below... it's not bad, though he is not a professional either. I do want to give him full credit, and I added his name, Tim Hill, to the pic. This is reduced with GIMP by 50% from his original.

2024 Eclipse by Tim Hill.jpg

Words fail me to describe how awe-inspiring it was to witness it. It was more than worth the time, and crowded highways to attend. If you ever get another chance to see a total eclipse... don't miss it!

View attachment 19448
Agreed seeing 100% totality is something I've experienced once as a child in the 1960s and something I'll always remember it's awesome.

Well, it's dark. I sacrificed a chicken, so I'm hopeful that the Sun comes back.

Now that's funny...made me laugh.
m0139.gif

Didn't happen in my part of the world and don't have any chooks (chickens) does KFC count.
m0193.gif

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts