Today's article was mostly written by AI...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I wanted to do an article about apt vs apt-get. It looked mundane to write, so I decided to let AI have a shot at it.

It did okay. It covered anything I wanted to cover, more or less. I only let it write part of the article, of course.

At the time, I was reasonably concerned with Mother Nature stomping on my region again. It turns out that we were missed by the major outages and heavy damage.

Of course, we have another storm rolling in on Saturday... This one will be similar to the last two. We'll see if we're skipped again. We did get snow, so that was cool.

I wanted to do an article about apt vs apt-get. It looked mundane to write, so I decided to let AI have a shot at it.

It did okay. It covered anything I wanted to cover, more or less. I only let it write part of the article, of course.

At the time, I was reasonably concerned with Mother Nature stomping on my region again. It turns out that we were missed by the major outages and heavy damage.

Of course, we have another storm rolling in on Saturday... This one will be similar to the last two. We'll see if we're skipped again. We did get snow, so that was cool.
Great article. Thank you and ChatGPT!

Great article. Thank you and ChatGPT!

There are some tasks that ChatGPT can do and do well. It's finding those tasks that can be tricky.

This sort of thing is something it does well - but you had better preview it for errors. It does make mistakes. You can't (or probably shouldn't) have it write an article about something you don't understand. Mistakes are likely to be made and get through. So, make sure you at least have a basic understanding before jumping on the "AI" (ML, really, which I suppose is a type of AI) bandwagon.

Another difference is that ChatPGT lacks personality. In your articles a certain personality is evident. AI still has a way to go.

In your articles a certain personality is evident.

That makes me wonder if I can include 'in the style of linux-tips.us' as a modifier to see if it gets closer to my style. I'd mostly just test that out of curiosity.

I've found that if you were to post that whole thing in A.I., it would probably be pretty obvious.

One of the things I don't like about GPT4 (this is the payed version) is that the custom instructions are kinda tricky and it tends to over-generalize like you would expect a bot to do. The hack I've found is you ask it to write the instruction for you before adding it to the custom instruction!

A.I. these days is certainly impressive overall, yet I believe there will always be inherent limitations (i don't think it will ever be 100% accurate in properly interpreting prompts)

I've found that if you were to post that whole thing in A.I., it would probably be pretty obvious.

It's a bit like 'Uncanny Valley', I think. I'm not 100% sure, but I can guess that it is AI-generated fairly well 0 I think. I haven't really got confirmation.

Just a friendly FYI: It's 'paid'. The word 'payed' is a word, but it has to do with things like ropes.

For example, "He payed out the line at a rate that ensured the climber would not fall far enough to be hurt."

I believe there will always be inherent limitations (i don't think it will ever be 100% accurate in properly interpreting prompts)

I believe the current AI models are good at passing the Turing Test for a short while. They can carry on (text-based) conversations for a while before it becomes obvious that they're a machine.

I guess I don't really know enough to speculate. I have seen some AI-generated images that looked remarkably close to what a human would create. I'm not sure I could reliably pick between them with 100% accuracy.

They can carry on (text-based) conversations for a while before it becomes obvious that they're a machine.
Well, the speed is a dead give away! There arent any ppl who can spit out a fully organized explanation in that manner.

Well, the speed is a dead give away! There arent any ppl who can spit out a fully organized explanation in that manner.

That could be an indicator in some situations. It does require some time to spit out the results, but they're much faster than I am able to type - and I type quite quickly.

I see AI as a tool to help me, not a tool to replace me. In cases like this, it saved me writing time but added formatting time. It saved me time overall, however. The results were 'acceptable', at least to me. I'm also curious about how Google will deal with it. I'm sure Google can spot AI-generated content pretty easily.

I have been playing with various flavors of AI on the web oddly enough I found Microsoft CoPilot the best. The reason was it provided citations for the information it regurgitated. Often I find that at least with technical questions I get out of date information. Citations allow for further research.

Staff online