Today's article is yet another way to monitor disk usage...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
If there's one thing you can do with a ton of different tools, it's monitor your disk usage. Well, disk is a bit of a misnomer for many - as we no longer use spinning disks.

Still, you get the idea. There are all sorts of ways to do this and this article is just another one of those.

There are probably storage monitoring tools that I've not yet covered. I'll get to 'em eventually.

Interesting description for gdu provided by the output of: apt-cache show gdu, in debian:
Description-en: Pretty fast disk usage analyzer
Disk usage analyzer with console interface written in Go.
Intended primarily for SSD disks where it can fully
utilize parallel processing. However HDDs work as well, but
the performance gain is not so huge.

Interesting description for gdu provided by the output of: apt-cache show gdu, in debian:

Yeah, it says that it is fast but that's not what I observed. I probably should have done some testing but it was still pretty slow.

I do think it's the first Go application I've written about.

Mint Cinnamon has some built-in tools I like...System Monitor under File Systems...Disk Usage Analyser and the Disk Manager.
m1212.gif

Mint Cinnamon has some built-in tools I like...System Monitor under File Systems...Disk Usage Analyser and the Disk Manager.
m1212.gif

Oh, absolutely. There are a ton of tools to do this, some of which will be installed by default.

This is not even remotely a challenging task. It's just another tool that we can use - should we prefer it.

And that is what makes Linux great. We can pick the tools we prefer, If we don't find a tool that we prefer, we can write one that scratches that itch.

It's so much easier to do things in Linux.
m1212.gif

It's so much easier to do things in Linux.
m1212.gif

I think so too.

What's unfortunate is that people shy away from the terminal and don't really get comfortable working in the terminal. The terminal can look complicated, but it's really quite easy to do many things.

Sure, there are some complicated commands - but that doesn't mean everything is difficult.

Members online