Today's article is aimed at those folks using Cinnamon as their desktop environment...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Quickly restart the Cinnamon desktop environment - and a bit more information about the run dialog.

I do love me some feedback.

(I had a busy afternoon, so I'm just getting to post this now.)

If you right click on the taskbar in Cinnamon there is an option to restart Cinnamon, I do it sometimes when the taskbar stays visible while I have set it hidden, it fix that

gdgdgdsg.jpg

If you right click on the taskbar in Cinnamon there is an option to restart Cinnamon,

That doesn't exist in mine. I'm likely using an older version.

You could add it as a comment on the site, if you're feeling energetic.

Mine:

TKwtr8d.png

Ah ha! It is there!

Hmm... I may have enough here for another article. Can I use your screenshot?

Nice timing!
I am going to repair my old main computer in next few days after a year and I always had Mint installed on it.

Anyhow, if you leave your computer on for a long time, you might find that Cinnamon is eating up a bunch of RAM and CPU.

Is it a bug? Isn't there any permanent solution?

Is it a bug? Isn't there any permanent solution?

It's likely a 'memory leak', where an application will increase its RAM usage without actually doing anything new. Firefox used to be famous for it. You could open it and monitor the increased RAM usage even if you weren't doing anything.

This one isn't too terrible from my observations - but it is fairly consistent. While I haven't monitored it extensively, it doesn't always appear to happen.

It can be found and fixed in the code, which will take time and developer resources. I'm sure they know this happens, as I'm sure they're also using Cinnamon.

Maybe, just maybe, the problem could be an "interrupt" ....(being responsible for using excessive cpu)....

Code:
grep -Ev "^[ ]*0" /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe?? | sort --field-separator=: --key=2 --numeric --reverse | head -1

The above snippet will look at all the interrupts, sort them numerically, and show you the one with the highest count.

Members online