Today's article is about when you installed Lubuntu (and more)...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This works for more than Lubuntu. I just didn't do a whole lot of testing for this article. I'm also pretty sure you need to be using an ext* drive format.

But, it will work with other distros besides Lubuntu...

Enjoy!

Testing it on my system...

Code:
root@d7050-next:~#   dumpe2fs /dev/sda6 |grep "created"
dumpe2fs 1.47.0 (5-Feb-2023)
Filesystem created:       Wed Jan 25 16:36:39 2023

That fits when I purchased this box earlier this year, and then used it for some QA testing, before I trusted it as my primary box, alas I know that's not when I last installed.

You do have that covered though..

If you did some sort of weird, non-default, installation, then it may not work for you. I can’t be 100% certain because I didn’t test this.

I don't consider my install "weird", but yeah I had an issue during the mantic cycle, that I eventually decided I wanted fixed (and couldn't find how to fix myself) so non-destructively re-installed this system.

Thus I explore

Code:
root@d7050-next:~#   cat /var/log/installer/media-info 
Xubuntu 23.10 "Mantic Minotaur" - Daily amd64 (20230829)

and that looks correct; I used Xubuntu media as it used ubiquity, having experienced an issue with our calamares earlier in the day; and I didn't want to wait for a new daily ISO to be created, wanting this system fixed (using the Xubuntu ISO & adjusting packages post-install being my quick solution).

A belated Happy Birthday for the 31st December !

Whoops, ditto, David, from me. Clickety-click 66.

David, not sure how this differs from this one

https://www.linux.org/threads/how-old-ist-your-linux-installation.44976/

in which you participated, although @tinfoil-hat began that one with a 3rd option (to those 2 you have covered), with (should be on the same, root partition)

Code:
stat -c %w /

I actually started off the coverage of those commands here in 2019

https://www.linux.org/threads/cinnamon-clock-font-size-too-small.25441/post-76900

and its been covered several times since. Doesn't hurt to have a refresher though I guess.

Cheers

Wiz

Thus I explore

Code:
root@d7050-next:~# cat /var/log/installer/media-info
Xubuntu 23.10 "Mantic Minotaur" - Daily amd64 (20230829)
That's probably worth adding to the article, actually. Thanks!

By the way, Mother Nature and computer issues have slowed me down with regards to testing. That will resume sometime this weekend. (I'm not dead.)

A belated Happy Birthday for the 31st December !
Whoops, ditto, David, from me. Clickety-click 66.

The 30th actually, but thanks!

I don't know anyone's birthday here. I sometimes notice but my brain sucks at remembering birthdays. I have two kids and a wife. I know their birthdays.

David, not sure how this differs from this one

https://www.linux.org/threads/how-old-ist-your-linux-installation.44976/

in which you participated, although @tinfoil-hat began that one with a 3rd option (to those 2 you have covered), with (should be on the same, root partition)

Oh, it probably doesn't. I can't possibly recall all the threads I've been in. I can't even remember what articles I've written! There's definitely going to be some overlap. It's gonna happen. Many, not all, of my articles have information that can be found elsewhere.

Members online