Today's article is a familiar theme...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Have you ever wanted to show your mounted filesystems? Yes? Well, I've covered that before.

For completeness-sake, I've decided to cover it again. This time around, we're using a command that you shouldn't need to install. There's nothing fancy, it's just a few simple commands.

See? It's not difficult to show these things. This is just another way of achieving your computational goals. Linux is awesome like that - in that it offers us so many different choices. It's great that we have a variety of commands, each with their own options, to learn information. This is especially useful (perhaps not so much in this article) when you need to pipe that information to another command.

The findmnt command is so much more readable than the traditional mount command which became very cluttered after systemd was introduced. It even says on the mount man page:
For more robust and customizable output use findmnt
Before becoming familiar with findmnt, to get a reasonable view on screen I would read mount piping it through column:
Code:
mount | column -t
but findmnt is still more expressive than that as well with it's tree format.

Last edited:
The findmnt command is so much more readable than the traditional mount command which became very cluttered after systemd was introduced.

It also has the -real flag which is handy for a concise output.

I was actually surprised that I hadn't covered it already.

Staff online

Members online