Today's article has you making a startup USB drive...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Yes, I wrote this article just the other day. But, we used a different tool for the job. This time, we're using an entirely different tool and one not necessarily known for writing .iso files to thumb drives.

This one is hopefully going to look good in search engines. I'm not sure how many folks here will actually be interested. After all, we have so many tools for this task. Do we really need another? Probably not...

The syntax is easy enough, I suppose. A new user can follow this article. Then again, a new user might prefer something like balenaEtcher.

Confusing at best....the 'ddrescue' in the Software Manager of Linux Mint 21.2.....appears as Gddrescue......with a note at the bottom explaining "Please note that this is the GNU ddrescue version providing the ddrescue executable. The package is named gddrescue because the ddrescue version of Kurt Garloff used to have the ddrescue package name already.

Beginners should be wary of dd....or at least very careful !

the 'ddrescue' in the Software Manager of Linux Mint 21.2.....appears as Gddrescue......

Yeah, I have no idea why they did that. I did mention it, of course.

Other than that, if they follow the directions they'll be just fine. Heck, I did a 'dd' article recently and it went over well enough. You just gotta be REALLY sure of your designation. If you're not sure, double check.

You might want to adjust the 'title', it has USD instead of USB..... ;)

Yeah, I have no idea why they did that. I did mention it, of course.

Other than that, if they follow the directions they'll be just fine. Heck, I did a 'dd' article recently and it went over well enough. You just gotta be REALLY sure of your designation. If you're not sure, double check.
I suspect the g is for GNU. It's a GNU utility.

Well yeah, I get that part. But others are just ddrescue
Yes. The debian based distros may be inclined towards using the g since that's the name debian uses, presumably following GNU. From a debian box:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ apt show ddrescue
N: Unable to locate package ddrescue
N: Unable to locate package ddrescue
E: No packages found

[flip@flop ~]$ apt show gddrescue
Package: gddrescue
Version: 1.27-1
Priority: optional
Section: utils
<snip>

Yes. The debian based distros may be inclined towards using the g since that's the name debian uses, presumably following GNU.

I wonder if they had a different package named ddrescue at one point in time? I do sometimes find distros using different names for the same software. I write the installation instructions for multiple distros in some articles, so I do see it from time to time.

Brief meandering online it looks like the package is named ddrescue by Fedora, CentOS, AlmaLinux, Red Hat, Arch and Manjaro. That's a bunch of non-debian derivatives.

Brief meandering online it looks like the package is named ddrescue by Fedora, CentOS, AlmaLinux, Red Hat, Arch and Manjaro. That's a bunch of non-debian derivatives.

Yup. As mentioned in the install section, they're pretty consistent - except for those in the Debian family.

My Debian-based MX Linux (23) contains /usr/bin/ddrescue.

It's called ddrescue after the installation. The package name is gddrescue (AFAIK) for those in the Debian family.

You do sudo apt install gddrescue and it installs ddrescue. Even the commands after that are ddrescue commands. There's no man gddrescue or anything. It's just man ddrescue and that's it.

The only difference is the name of the package during the installation process.

The g for gddrescue is explained in the output of: apt show gddrescue, in debian.
<snip>
Please note that this is the GNU ddrescue version providing the
ddrescue executable. The package is named gddrescue because the
ddrescue version of Kurt Garloff used to have the ddrescue
package name already.

Last edited:
The g for gddrescue is explained in the output of: apt show gddrescue, in deban.

I wonder if they had a different package named ddrescue at one point in time?

That does explain it! Good find.

Today's article has some similar aspects. The package required is named differently in different distros.

Members online

Latest posts