Today's article has you looking at all the stuff you've installed...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
That's right. If you're like me, you've got all sorts of stuff installed alongside the stuff that's installed by default. Well, you can make a list out of this and list all your installed software. This won't show Snaps or flatpaks, but I include the commands to list that software as well as a couple of commands to show the software installed in the more traditional way.

WordPress decided to not publish it on time. It skipped the publication time. That doesn't happen often, but it does sometimes happen. Not everything is perfect and rather than be mad when it doesn't work I'm happy when it does work. All this stuff is pretty darned complicated. It amazes me when it does work without faults.

Helpful article, good read.....thanks.

I had to look up the snap and flatpak cmd's over the weekend while helping someone.
It's easier I think to keep articles in an e-mail then a running list of commands.

Word Press has never failed me so I can't complain there.

It's only as complicated as one makes it I think.
Once you've learned the ropes on WordPress things stay that way for a while until they change it.

What DE are you running with your Lubutu install?

Word Press has never failed me so I can't complain there.

I ask a lot out of WordPress, with more than 70 plugins. (I have exceptional hosting for this.)

What DE are you running with your Lubutu install?

The default, LXQt, the QT version of LXDE.

Glad ya liked the article. I figured I'd add the commands for Snap and Flatpak for completeness' sake.

I ask a lot out of WordPress, with more than 70 plugins. (I have exceptional hosting for this.)

The default, LXQt, the QT version of LXDE.

Glad ya liked the article. I figured I'd add the commands for Snap and Flatpak for completeness' sake.
One of these days I'll install LXDE and give it a spin.

A list of packages and a list of applications? They both look pretty similar. What is the difference?

A list of packages and a list of applications? They both look pretty similar. What is the difference?
LXQt uses the Qt toolkit and framework for its GUI and LXDE uses the GTK toolkit. LXDE uses the GTK2 toolkit, and the devs didn't wish to move up to GTK3 when it was released because it's not so light weight, so they created LXQt and merged with another Qt project which was still quite light. On the surface, they are quite similar.

So in Ubuntu this is a moot question...we just have packages. Correct?
LXDE and LXQt come in a number of packages each. For example, on a debian machine here with LXDE installed, these are the LXDE packages:
Code:
[viv@wom ~]$ dpkg -l |grep lxde
ii  lxde                                  12                             all          metapackage for LXDE
ii  lxde-common                           0.99.2-5                       all          LXDE common configuration files
ii  lxde-core                             12                             all          metapackage for the LXDE core
ii  lxde-icon-theme                       0.5.1-3                        all          LXDE standard icon theme
ii  lxde-settings-daemon                  0.5.5-3                        amd64        xsettings compliant configuration manager for LXDE
ii  openbox-lxde-session                  0.99.2-5                       all          LXDE session manager and configuration files
ii  task-lxde-desktop                     3.73                           all          LXDE

They will be similar in other distributions, depending on how each distro's maintainers decide how to package it after acquiring it from upstream. The "applications" are in the packages. For example the package openbox-lxde-session has the following contents:
Code:
[viv@wom ~]$ apt-file list openbox-lxde-session
openbox-lxde-session: /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
openbox-lxde-session: /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf
openbox-lxde-session: /etc/xdg/openbox/LXDE/menu.xml
openbox-lxde-session: /etc/xdg/openbox/LXDE/rc.xml
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/bin/lxde-logout
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/bin/openbox-lxde
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/bin/startlxde
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/applications/lxde-logout.desktop
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/applications/lxde-screenlock.desktop
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/doc/openbox-lxde-session/changelog.Debian.gz
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/doc/openbox-lxde-session/changelog.gz
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/doc/openbox-lxde-session/copyright
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/lintian/overrides/openbox-lxde-session
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/man/man1/lxde-logout.1.gz
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/man/man1/openbox-lxde.1.gz
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/man/man1/startlxde.1.gz
openbox-lxde-session: /usr/share/xsessions/LXDE.desktop

The application "openbox" is available in the LXDE desktop environment from inside the above package, and can be run from one of the executable files in that package. The openbox window manager could also be installed separately and independently of the LXDE desktop environment, and used on it's own, but in this LXDE suite, openbox is blended into its desktop environment.

Last edited:

The two commands spit out the same information. There's often multiple ways to accomplish the same thing. One is formatted nicer and one spits it all out at once unless you pipe it through less.

Then there are Snaps and Flatpaks. Those are separate.

Members online

Latest posts