Timeshift & Similar Solutions - Safeguard & Recover Your Linux

Also....

I checked my phone to make sure there were no connectivity issues. There were none

That's fine, Sherri - I have to go out for an hour and then I'll be back

My questions stem from my experience with Windows restore (when it actually works)
  • I restored to the Snap Shot I took immediately after installing LM.
  • All the other Snap Shots I took are still there.
    • Is this normal?
  • The last update was a couple of days ago. I'm not sure what day it was.
  • When I look in update history, the only date I see is the release date of the update, not when it was installed.
    • With Windows, I would check recent updates for issues.
      • It's not unusual for Windows updates to cause problems.
  • Having not used Linux for very long, I don't know if issues caused by updates is something I should concern myself with.
  • Timeshift takes SnapShots daily.
  • Right now, I'm not sure where to look for the cause of the internet issue.
    • This brings me to questions for another thread.

Is this normal?

Yes.

Aside and not TimeShift salient:

It's a long story, but I use a phone as a dedicated connection. That should change sometime soon, but that doesn't matter.

Reset your phone's connection.

Don't just reset the phone, recreate the hotspot. You can keep the same password, but at least change the SSID. If it's called 'cellphone', rename it to 'myphone'. Cycle the power and rename it.

I need to do this every so often, usually when I don't want to. I push hundreds of GBs per month through that phone and it seems to need a reset every couple of weeks, if not more often. I alternate between a few SSIDs so that I don't have to bother creating a new connection on the computer. It just finds the connection and automatically connects to it because it can no longer find the previous connection.

• I restored to the Snap Shot I took immediately after installing LM.
Timeshift snapshots affect system files only....it would be highly unlikely for a internet issue to be involved....not when your internet connection has a history of issues....I would be looking in other places first
  • All the other Snap Shots I took are still there.
    • Is this normal?
Did you put comments beside them?....this will cause them to stay there. did you check the dates to ensure they are the same ones ?
  • The last update was a couple of days ago. I'm not sure what day it was.
  • When I look in update history, the only date I see is the release date of the update, not when it was installed.
my update history;

1710475637257.png

• With Windows, I would check recent updates for issues.
With windows, i would assume that you could safely assume there were issues....

• It's not unusual for Windows updates to cause problems.

• apparently.
      • It is equally Usual for Linux, to not cause problems.
  • Having not used Linux for very long, I don't know if issues caused by updates is something I should concern myself with.
Probably not. The last 'issue' i encountered was probably 6 months or more ago......forgettable

• Timeshift takes SnapShots daily.
Good. Not too many ?
Right now, I'm not sure where to look for the cause of the internet issue.
read @KGIII's reply above

• This brings me to questions for another thread.

Yeah, what he said ^^^ ;)

Just remember that when the opportunity presents itself, you should store snapshots on an external drive. A snapshot on the same drive as your install is, is no use to you if the drive stops functioning.

Cheers

@KGIII

I'm starting a different thread about this with things that don't seem relevant to this one. I'm taking a break from all the editing for clarity and redundancy. I'll tag you when I post it.

Yeah, what he said ^^^ ;)

Just remember that when the opportunity presents itself, you should store snapshots on an external drive. A snapshot on the same drive as your install is, is no use to you if the drive stops functioning.

Cheers

I'm working on figuring a few things out on my before installing LM the 2TB drive.

I wasn't overly concerned if something went wrong. I kept and will continue to keep the USB drive with installation files in case something like this should happen.

@Condobloke

I'll get to your reply later. My brain is shot. I'm having trouble concentrating now. Some how I posted the same response to Wizardfromoz twice. I need to stop.

But it didn't take much to notice those comments about Windows! :D

No hurry, take your time (why am I humming Cat Stevens' 'Father and Son'?)

@Condobloke
@wizardfromoz

This for now.

ALL of the dates are 2023-07-11. Nothing for this year. The system time is 2024.
I'll check the time in BIOS tomorrow. I know that alone can effect internet "stuff". I had that problem before.

I have a few other thoughts. I'll look into those things tomorrow.

1710483506903.png

Give me a harder one.

LM 21.2 was released around 23-07-16.

The dates on those files relate to their shipping with the released product.

Cheers

Wiz

But seriously, I need to stop now. Thoughts are getting jumbled up in my head. This is when I start shooting off reply after reply because I just remembered or just thought of something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts