ThinkPad Camera and Volume

Can anyone with a ThinkPad tell me a recommended way to do selfie videos on it?

Thats less about your thinkpad, more about your linux distro. i think cheese can. it should be pre-installed on ubuntu, if not you can find it in the software-center, where you install software.

Also, ummm... where is the volume control?

That depends on your window manager - somewhere in that bar where you start applications. right top or right bottom bar - i think.

If you want more fine grained control I'd recommend to install pavucontrol.

This may help with volume and other settings.....apparently on a Lenovo the F keys are used extensively

The guy speaks quickly....you may need to stop, rewind and start some of the sections again to get a grasp of what he is saying

Personally I would take a written note....that help cement the action in the memory.

Selfie Videos.... I do not use this myself....but I hear a lot about an app called Cheese

click on menu....type in software manager....click on it.....when it opens (it may take a minute) ..type in cheese....it will appear.....install it. You can access it by typing cheese into the menu.
1712780672173.png

While you are at it......it would be a good idea to add Software Manager to the panel (task bar)....simply because you will be downloading a few apps and it saves time and patience by having it handy

clcik on menu...type in software manager....then, RIGHT CLICK on software manager, and the select add to panel.......That will place the software manager's icon in the panel (task bar)....from there all you have to do to open the software manager, is single click the icon in the panel./ (again, it usually takes a short while to open)
You can also elect to right click on software manager and select add to desktop (just depends on where you want it....it may take up valuable space on the desktop etc)

Usually with apps like cheese, they will save whatever you do to downloads or a specific folder....somewhere
I save anything of this nature to my Desktop....because it is quicker and easier to find. After I have used it, I then delete it to regain desktop space. I have two monitors, but I hate cluttering up either of them.

Go for it !

Just remember.....if you have Timeshift taking a daily snapshot, you can afford to lash out a bit.....if you make a mistake somewhere, it IS fixable.

Muc
Thats less about your thinkpad, more about your linux distro. i think cheese can. it should be pre-installed on ubuntu, if not you can find it in the software-center, where you install software.

That depends on your window manager - somewhere in that bar where you start applications. right top or right bottom bar - i think.

If you want more fine grained control I'd recommend to install pavucontrol.
Much grass and murky donkeys. (Muchos gracis, merci, danke)

There is still a lot of re -training needed to adjust back to this, after years on the iPad.

You have made many helpful suggestions, thanks!

This may help with volume and other settings.....apparently on a Lenovo the F keys are used extensively

The guy speaks quickly....you may need to stop, rewind and start some of the sections again to get a grasp of what he is saying

Personally I would take a written note....that help cement the action in the memory.

Selfie Videos.... I do not use this myself....but I hear a lot about an app called Cheese

click on menu....type in software manager....click on it.....when it opens (it may take a minute) ..type in cheese....it will appear.....install it. You can access it by typing cheese into the menu.
View attachment 19375

While you are at it......it would be a good idea to add Software Manager to the panel (task bar)....simply because you will be downloading a few apps and it saves time and patience by having it handy

clcik on menu...type in software manager....then, RIGHT CLICK on software manager, and the select add to panel.......That will place the software manager's icon in the panel (task bar)....from there all you have to do to open the software manager, is single click the icon in the panel./ (again, it usually takes a short while to open)
You can also elect to right click on software manager and select add to desktop (just depends on where you want it....it may take up valuable space on the desktop etc)

Usually with apps like cheese, they will save whatever you do to downloads or a specific folder....somewhere
I save anything of this nature to my Desktop....because it is quicker and easier to find. After I have used it, I then delete it to regain desktop space. I have two monitors, but I hate cluttering up either of them.

Go for it !

Just remember.....if you have Timeshift taking a daily snapshot, you can afford to lash out a bit.....if you make a mistake somewhere, it IS fixable.

At your suggestion, pinned software manager to panel. Also looked at Cheese. Selfie videos has not been my interest either. I like to make one for the EOS: Essential Oracle Sphere and publish to YouTube. Remembered someone recommended OBS Studio, and installed. Thanks.

Do you mean the url bar's width?
1713395897154.png

This is found in brave's settings, under 'Appearance'

Or....if you access 'Themes" in Linux Mint 21.3 settings.....click on menu and type in Themes.......click on advanced settings....then where it says desktop...click on the 'theme' being used there.....I use Mint-Y-Dark-Blue.....there are lots to choose from....some have a broader url bar from what I can see there. Experiment a little !

Do you mean the url bar's width?
View attachment 19449
This is found in brave's settings, under 'Appearance'

Or....if you access 'Themes" in Linux Mint 21.3 settings.....click on menu and type in Themes.......click on advanced settings....then where it says desktop...click on the 'theme' being used there.....I use Mint-Y-Dark-Blue.....there are lots to choose from....some have a broader url bar from what I can see there. Experiment a little !

The Menu bar above the URL bar....

In brave settings, click on appearance....

1713433334530.png

Give that a try

Thanks! Will do, and will report!

Sorry I mis-stated again. Realized, it is not actually a menu bar, rather the bookmarks or tabs bar that I am trying to make readable. It is above the URL bar.

UPDATE SCREENSHOT
Brave Appearance.png

Same page:

1713440974492.png

@Emanate Presence :-

I believe I already explained how to permanently enlarge the user interface. However, if you feel you don't want all that "hard work", that is of course entirely your decision.....

There aren't ALWAYS 'easy' ways to do everything. Sometimes, it WILL involve command-line/text-editing stuff. Especially where browsers are concerned, because the average user usually doesn't have any comprehension of just HOW incredibly complex these applications are....

Chromium-based browsers are the most highly-customizable browsers I know of.......but many of those customizations are NOT, unfortunately, accessible from the standard 'User Settings'. These browsers contained the ability to manipulate the GUI from their very first release, some 17 years ago.....but you've always needed to 'dig' a little to find them. And to this day, many of those 'changes' that make the most noticeable difference for those of us with less than perfect, 20/20 vision are STILL buried in the command-line.

(shrug...)

We can ONLY suggest. There's no pressure to have to do anything if you don't want to. Nobody's forcing you! :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

As for web-cam selfies, yep; Cheese would be MY recommendation, too. There's others out there that can do this, but Cheese is a lot more "user-friendly"...

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

I believe I already explained how to permanently enlarge the user interface. However, if you feel you don't want all that "hard work", that is of course entirely your decision.....

There aren't ALWAYS 'easy' ways to do everything. Sometimes, it WILL involve command-line/text-editing stuff. Especially where browsers are concerned, because the average user usually doesn't have any comprehension of just HOW incredibly complex these applications are....

Chromium-based browsers are the most highly-customizable browsers I know of.......but many of those customizations are NOT, unfortunately, accessible from the standard 'User Settings'. These browsers contained the ability to manipulate the GUI from their very first release, some 17 years ago.....but you've always needed to 'dig' a little to find them. And to this day, many of those 'changes' that make the most noticeable difference for those of us with less than perfect, 20/20 vision are STILL buried in the command-line.

(shrug...)

We can ONLY suggest. There's no pressure to have to do anything if you don't want to. Nobody's forcing you! :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Drift Boss

As for web-cam selfies, yep; Cheese would be MY recommendation, too. There's others out there that can do this, but Cheese is a lot more "user-friendly"...

Mike. ;)
wow.

(shrug...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Mike. ;)

Right. I don't feel pressured, and do appreciate that you take the time to respond.

I don't like mentioning my physical mental state, but how else can I communicate?

Your instructions would have been a piece of cake for me 20 years ago. Today they feel beyond my scope.

I will just muddle through the best I can. Thanks.

Mike or anyone, I explored the wallet on Brave, decided to leave it alone, but now get popups on the screen that are unwanted. Have looked but not found how to change this. Anyone?

Been on the Appearance page several times. Will look again where you pointed. Thanks.

Do you have a favorite for some type of notepad that can stay on the Desktop?

Would like to disable popup shown in screenshot (Leo upper right). It came after I explored wallet. Any suggestions appreciated.

POPUP.png

open brave settings,,,,then on the far right hand side, there is a small cicle.....

1713995608412.png

single click that circle, and that will open the search for brave settings. you type in whatever you are going to search for over on the far left hand side .....
1713995730116.png

type in leo ...that will immediately take you to the settings for leo (which is the brave AI thingie)
Just turn it off.

That search bar can solve a lot of problems finding settings etc...in brave

(my screenshot below does not show all settings for leo....just scroll down on your pc to show all of them )

1713995261091.png

Latest posts