The Cheese is Not Cutting It!

Luceman

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Linux Experts,
I am a recent convert to linux mint 19.3. I have a webcam and document camera ELMO TT-o2s that worked fine with windows 7 before I changed over. Unfortunately, they are both not recognized by Cheese or Camora. I use them to teach my first grade class online. I can use my notebook that still has Windows, but I would rather use my desktop. Thanks for any suggestions that you may have. Here is my system configuration. https://termbin.com/j1sz

Maybe give OBS Studio a try.

It works for me on my laptop running Manjaro 20.
It should be in your "Software Manager" so look there first before following the link below.

Welcome Luceman,
I too use Mint 19.3
You should find the OBS Studio in the software manager, just as Alexzee mentioned. Look in the 'video' section and type in the search box 'OBS Studio'. Should pop right up.
Hope this helps.
Old Geezer Tango Charlie

Who cut the cheese?! Ha ha ha!
Sorry, I can’t resist a fart joke!

It sounds like you’re missing a driver for your camera. Either it’s not installed, or there isn’t one available.

Generally speaking, many modern camera devices work with the UVC driver under Linux. But older cameras and modern ones that don’t support UVC usually require a proprietary driver, leaving you the mercy of the manufacturer, who may or may not have made one available.

From a quick bit of duckduckgo-fu - it seems that particular model is discontinued. I read something on one page which mentioned a driver for the Linux 2.4 and 2.6 Kernels - which are pretty ancient. So this camera might well pre-date UVC.

It might be worth trying to get hold of the Linux driver from the manufacturer. But it will probably have to be built from source against a newer kernel. Which may also require modifications to the original drivers source code. Not sure what the chances are of a company releasing the source code for an older driver though.

So I think the first thing to do is to try installing guvcviewer and see if that can detect your camera! It should be in the repos of most distros.

If you can get it working with guvcview - it should then work under cheese and other video/camera applications. If it doesn’t, you might need to consider a newer webcam.

And if it comes to getting a new webcam - as long as it is UVC compatible - it should work under Linux.

I recently got myself a Logitech c922 pro-stream web cam. Which has built in microphones. It works flawlessly for me in Debian 10 for live-streaming, video chat and photo applications. So I can definitely recommend one of those!

Thanks so much for all of your efforts to help! It's hard to teach an old dog a new trick since I have been indoctrinated and brainwashed for years with Microsoft.

I installed all the software recommendations, but could not get them to recognize my camera. I could try a virtual box and put windows on it to see I can get it to work.

Amazon says in their blurb about the camera is that it automatically loads the drivers and works with Linux. Yeah, right! Ha! Ha!

I do have a school notebook that has Windows 10 that works fine. I would rather sit at my desk and use the BIG SCREEN!

I hope you all have an incredible weekend and thanks for taking pity on my little problem!

Thanks so much for all of your efforts to help! It's hard to teach an old dog a new trick since I have been indoctrinated and brainwashed for years with Microsoft.

I installed all the software recommendations, but could not get them to recognize my camera. I could try a virtual box and put windows on it to see I can get it to work.

Amazon says in their blurb about the camera is that it automatically loads the drivers and works with Linux. Yeah, right! Ha! Ha!

I do have a school notebook that has Windows 10 that works fine. I would rather sit at my desk and use the BIG SCREEN!

I hope you all have an incredible weekend and thanks for taking pity on my little problem!
Did you install OBS Studio from your Software Center in Mint?

If it didn't work try rebooting and than see if it see's your camera.

Members online