Test driving ubuntu 23.10 beta

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
I thought I would test drive Ubuntu 23.10 (Live ) I have to say it's fast gnome 45 seems smooth. Haven't done much with it yet but what I have tried seems to work well. I haven't tried it on real hardware yet.
Might also add it takes a long time for the live session to boot up. At least on my hardware.

Last edited:

One draw back that may keep me from this one is it seems to cause my machine to run hot. Will do further testing today.

It might be Gnome DE which requires powerful graphics.

If your graphics processor or graphics card doesn't meet the requirements for Gnome DE it loads your processor down.

I could be wrong but everything I've read about Gnome DE is that it's system resource hungry.

It might be Gnome DE which requires powerful graphics.

If your graphics processor or graphics card doesn't meet the requirements for Gnome DE it loads your processor down.

I could be wrong but everything I've read about Gnome DE is that it's system resource hungry.
That could be , I did a full install on the machine and the heating problem seems to have been fixed so I suspect that in live mode it was taxing the system more. In any event it seems to be working fine. Gnome 45 is nice. only thing I'll have to wait on is a couple of programs I usually install haven't been updated for the newer dependencies yet they most likely won't be until after final release. I Thing 23.10 will be a good release however.
It seems faster and smoother than before.

I suspect that in live mode it was taxing the system more.

That sounds likely. I'm also not sure what all is actually started when you're in a live environment. It could have a limited amount of power management and fan control. I don't really know what's loaded into memory.

I'm not sure either but it's working well right now. :)
It is using a little over 2 Gbs ram with vivaldi and a few other apps going, not bad.
on the live it was using almost 4 gbs ram so think it most likely had a bunch of stuff loaded to ram.

I might add that the new installer is quite nice.

on the live it was using almost 4 gbs ram so think it most likely had a bunch of stuff loaded to ram.

Yup. It loads everything it thinks you need into RAM and then loads more stuff into RAM as you call it, such as a browser or some other application. I dunno how much power management stuff it loads. I suppose we could check the running processes to see what's going on.

It's kinda neat. The first distro I knew of that did so was Knoppix. I'm sure there was something prior to that. That's just the first one that I know of.

As an aside, I need to buy at least one desktop and I should probably buy two. I've looked at my use case and considered my computational needs. I can legit do just fine with a cheap refurbished computer.

The live system is run from a squashfs or compressed image, thus decompression needs to occur (ie. CPU cycles decompressing data before it can be used). Installed systems don't have this compression (unless packaged as snaps).

The compressed image may/can remain in RAM (side effect of the media check puts it there) if you've sufficient RAM, but it's likely still compressed, thus the extra cycles in using it, thus heat.

My guess anyway (this is definitely part of why, but if a significant, part, or the only difference I don't know sorry; live mode can use different kernel options too etc)

Last edited:
The live system is run from a squashfs or compressed image, thus decompression needs to occur (ie. CPU cycles decompressing data before it can be used).

My question/unknown is how much is decompressed? I assume some rudimentary power management is loaded into RAM because the live instance can sleep, or at least blank the screen and I assume it's sleeping properly.

I'm really not sure how to even check this stuff.

But, I 100% agree that the reason for the higher heat is just that - that it was running live and not installed.

As an aside, I need to replace two desktops. Maybe I'll use that time to muck about with some live instances for a while. Amusingly, I'm pretty sure I can replace them with dirt cheap refurbished computers. My computational needs are just not that high compared to modern hardware.

My question/unknown is how much is decompressed?

I'm no help there.

I recall some bug discussions where it was attempted to be explained, alas it sailed over my head & I didn't try and understand/retain any of it, & just asked for simple testing instructions so I could contribute what we needed.

Thanks @guiverc that would explain it. But in any event the installed instance is running good and cool on the Lenovo t450. I never have been a big fan of Gnome. but must say that gnome 45 seems to be working well.
It's worth a try if anyone wants to try ubuntu 23.10 I don't normally test short term releases but this one piqued my interest.
in any event have fun with it. Everything seems to be working quite well out of the box. Not bad for a beta release. I have a couple of 3rd party programs that install but will not run yet. I suspect that the maintainers of those programs will need to update some stuff to make them compatible. But other than that it's been quite responsive and smooth. The two programs are slimbookbattery and ubuntu-cleaner. Both ppa's which have no release for 23:10 as yet. I got Ubuntu-cleaner working but don't recommend this method I used so won't put it here.

Last edited:
I never have been a big fan of Gnome. but must say that gnome 45 seems to be working well.
It's worth a try if anyone wants to try ubuntu 23.10 I don't normally test short term releases but this one peaked my interest.

GNOME's not my cup-of-tea either, sure it's installed on this my primary box, but I use it for a change (I love multi-desktop installs; ie. a bloated system).

The main benefit of looking at Ubuntu 23.10, is it's the best view of what Ubuntu 24.04 LTS will look like; as very few risks are taken in the final six months of the two year development cycle of the LTS release.

The hope was Ubuntu 24.04 LTS would use CUPS (printing) handled by snap package, alas that system didn't make it into Ubuntu 23.10, thus the next attempt for that will be the next [full] cycle, with it now planned for Ubuntu 24.10 (ie. it wasn't in 23.10 thus isn't introduced in the LTS). Sure newer Linux kernels, even a newer version of GNOME will be in 24.04, but other than version bumps of packages, changes all occur in 22.10, 23.04 & 23.10 or the non-LTS systems within the LTS cycle (24.04).

It was the same in prior cycles; 19.10 was a good view of what 20.04 looked like, 21.10 a good view of 22.04 etc.

it's been quite responsive and smooth.

:)

I regularly used Ubuntu from it's beginning when you could order free dvd/Cd to install. Until they went to unity DE and then I went to Mint for a long while. I've been using KDE/plasma Distros for about two years so decided to give Gnome another try. And I find it works well. Only problem I have with Ubuntu is Cononical starts things and drops them. Unity case in point.
But I'm sticking with this release for awhile anyway. Will see.

this one peaked my interest.

Off topic: It's usually 'piqued'. It piqued your interest.

I mean, you could say 'peaked' meaning it was the highest possible point of your interest, but piqued means basically 'stimulated'.

I figured you might want to know this and I literally have nothing better to do with my life right now.

Off topic: It's usually 'piqued'. It piqued your interest.

I mean, you could say 'peaked' meaning it was the highest possible point of your interest, but piqued means basically 'stimulated'.

I figured you might want to know this and I literally have nothing better to do with my life right now.
Corrected :)

Corrected :)

Also entirely unrelated, I had homemade mac n cheese for dinner.

There are a couple of English mistakes that irk me a bit. I'm not fond of seeing "alot" or "noone", for example. The ire is irrational, I know this. I'm not OCD or anything. Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm not! ;)

Members online