System Crash

mikejb

Reaction score
Credits
Was running MX Linux without any issue for some time on a HP Elite Desk 800, which is a mini computer. Must have been hacked or a virus took over.

Initial problem was "TPM Not Enabled". The Bios (L04 v02.13)has no place to enable TPM.

Then on trying to reintall MX, and alternatively Mint, I get the following messages: ""No root file system is defined"; "No BFI Bootloader Found"; "Installer Crashed"; and there is no apparent partition, root or otherwise - seems they were wiped out.

Is this resolvable? Please note that while I have been using linux for a number of years and am reasonably proficient I am not a professional tech.

Thanks very much

Last edited:

G'day mike, Welcome to Linux.org

My initial guess is a failed hard drive. That is a guess. hard drive or SSD ?

Is this a dual boot...or just Linux on its own?

How did you go about reinstalling ?

G'day mike, Welcome to Linux.org

My initial guess is a failed hard drive. That is a guess. hard drive or SSD ?

Is this a dual boot...or just Linux on its own?

How did you go about reinstalling ?
Thank you for responding.

Hard drive, no dual boot, reinstalling from a disk via USB.

Afraid it might be that the drive failed. If so. Have to decide if it is worth replacing the drive . Probably not since a 2014 unit, presumably, since the Bios has a 2014 date

Thanks again

Mike

If in fact it is the drive...replace it with a SSD.

Because they have become more popular than the conventional hard drives...mainly because of the increased speed they give....their prices are now very reasonable.

I am not sure about your Elite Desk 800, but some mini pc's have the ability to simply remove a cover underneath the pc and pop one hard drive out and simply slide another one in.

We have members here (including myself) that have pc;s much older than 2014.

If everything else is ok, give it some thought.

EDit to ADD
There is another member here... @Brickwizard who has a good grasp of hardware.

The fact that I have mentioned his name in that manner will let him know to come a have a look at this topic when he comes online. He lives in England which will give you some idea of the time he is likely to appear.

Afraid it might be that the drive failed. If so. Have to decide if it is worth replacing the drive . Probably not since a 2014 unit, presumably, since the Bios has a 2014 date
You can buy an SSD cheap now days.
I have a few of these no complaints.

Was it the hard drive or lack of a boot flag on root partition, I wonder?

+1 for Team Group

I've used a number of them and have had none of them fail. They're plenty speedy, but not as fast as you can get. I'll test their NVME M.2 SSDs sometime in the near future, probably...

Staff online

Members online