Stuck on Grub rescue

Ath23490

Reaction score
Credits
I installed linux mint everything was fine. After that I decided to get windows 10 again. After booting to windows 10 using a usb. I accidently deleted the partition. After watching tutorial I set() the set prefix() but during insmod and normal nothing works. Tried Booting again but it throws me back on grub rescue screen. Please help me.

Did you install windows? if so you will have to reinstall grub windows automatically takes control of the boot sector. Than is why we usually recommend installing windows first then install Mint /Linux.

Actually nothing is installed all partitions are deleted and no os is running neither linux nor windows I am stuck on the screen. When I click on boot with usb which is a iso file of windows 10. I am redirected to grub rescue page.

There was a problem with the pendrive it was gpt then I reinstalled it and booted it to mbr and I am stuck. Linux is deleted. Windows unable to install. Fan Is running on a speed more than usain bolt.

Staff Note: The below advice is from a duplicate thread of the OP, soon to be deleted, and should be considered the current advice to test. Wizard
I can't use sudo or something like this my screen shows this
You don't need sudo to try and get out of the grub rescue prompt. See the last half page of the link in post #2. If that can't get the system to boot, you most likely need to re-install grub.

You don't need sudo to re-install grub if you do it from a live disk. Here's a detailed method from the debian wiki, but it applies to most similar situations: https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall. You can use almost any linux live disk, or a linux rescue disk which you usually boot from a usb.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're seeing a GRUB menu when booting a Windows USB, not all partitions are deleted.

Windows may not see partitions formatted for Linux use. But, there's obviously data on the drive. A GRUB menu isn't just drawn from thin air and the data has to exist somewhere on that drive.

The only way there'd possibly be GRUB would be if it was on the drive itself - or somehow on your USB drive. Windows doesn't use GRUB for any applications.

Does Windows have a 'format' in the advanced options somewhere? You'll likely need to format the disk, removing all partitions the Windows way, and then install - or something along those lines.

Nothing is on my hands can't format the disk. And hete wr ate stuck with this beauty.

Attachments

• 17002502973167548770510558368374.jpg
    17002502973167548770510558368374.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 80
For you satisfaction see

Attachments

• 17002504734312579338659981919082.jpg
    17002504734312579338659981919082.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 88
Windows will not read linux partitions so that's why they are not showing up. I believe they must still be there or you would not see the grub rescue screen. Can you boot to linux with the live install usb used to install in the first place? And which distro did you have installed?

Last edited:
At this point something is definately messed up if you can not even boot the live usb. Next thing I would try would be to download the Live gparted iso and burn it to a usb boot from it and erase the entire HD/ssd and reinstall windows fist then Linux if you want to dual boot.

You can even use GParted to format the disk to NTFS ahead of time, first making sure all the partitions are removed. You'd do that by booting to a live USB and using the pre-installed GParted or installing the tool if it's not already installed. GNOME Disks may also be able to handle the task. One (or both) will be available on most live USBs, as they're widely used tools.

G'day @Ath23490 and welcome to linux.org :)

After watching tutorial I set() the set prefix() but during insmod and normal nothing works.

Can you tell us which tutorial?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Helpers Please Note: The advice at #5 is from a duplicate thread of the OP, soon to be deleted, and should be considered the current advice to test. Wizard

Members online