[SOLVED] I require to use other "innocent" emojis but how can I do that?

D

Deleted member 143446

I want to use that emoji for instance in forum pages face with spiral eyes but whern I copied emoji to page and send, it disappears, why? How can I use extra emojis/smileys? I love emojis and logic behind them!

1658250754865.png

Is this what you mean? They live in the vertical ellipses.

Or this? Copied from Omojis page you linked: ‍{nope, you're right, it disappears.}

Go post on Facebook if you want more Emoji's.

Huh... Unicode emojis don't work here.

Good...

At least the one I tested didn't.

CTRL + SHIFT + U +1F600 = a smiley face, one of many. It doesn't appear to show up here, which is nice.

im good as long as i can use them to laugh at/with posts.

I am going to pin this for a while, as it may help other new Members (and thanks, @bob466 for the links).

Our own emojis are provided with the site's XenForo software, and XenForo places a low priority on increasing them.

Cheers

Wiz

I am going to pin this for a while, as it may help other new Members (and thanks, @bob466 for the links).

Our own emojis are provided with the site's XenForo software, and XenForo places a low priority on increasing them.

Cheers

Wiz

You're welcome too Wiz.
s0801.gif

Does anyone else here get a spinal chill? I know linking to images, be it for whatever purpose (including emoji/emojies <-- what's the plural?) is covered by the ToS as it's "content", but I really think it'd be a good idea to establish some ground rules. I don't just mean size, that can be limited by auto-scaling (override BBCode), and I'm not talking explicit content either; I'm talking image spam. Unecessary bandwidth by 4MB animated GIFs, image-only replies, posts where each sentence ends in an image, etc. I can see this getting out of hand because I have seen it get out of hand before on a forum I used to frequent. Mods (a bit like here) were in short supply and struggled to keep mopping up and eventually an admin capped images completely until they could implement some restrictions on a software level. Give folks an inch, they take a mile. Imagine a newcomer:
IamDa1337H4x0r357|3570f@11 said:
hey [people], sup? iam noob [lol/happy gif] to linux but am kloving it [sparkly heart gif] [sparkly heart gif] [sparkly heart gif] anyway i have a problem [confused] like it starts but then say kernel panic [spinning question mark] [spinning question mark] [spinning question mark]

This possible future thread may have said:
So I just got back from vacation... blah blah blah... Anyway, good to be back.

Cool! [massive animated gif]

+1 [another gif]

I also went there...

lol, XD[gif]

[quoted gif]
[gif]

And steadily our communication ability regresses back to pictures, a digital parallel to cave paintings -- only uglier, less original, more generic, and so forth.

Just having guidelines for new users will probably prevent that. Just to reiterate: I know there are Ts&Cs on content, but I think it has to be more explicit/overt now that Pandora's Box is open.

Maybe I'm biased by bad experience. Maybe I'm biased because I read a book about online communication limiting our vocab and ability to accurately express ourselves, replacing it with pictures, most of which are factory-pressed generic animations (each time I see that woman from <insert sitcom> laughing and spitting drink/water out, I lose brain cells -- a scarce resource for me).

I'm not saying it's totally wrong. There's context. Well, was with GIFs when it was funny/original, used to augment a response rather than a substitute for a linguistic-based language. So, yes, they can be useful/funny and even an angry stone-age man like me can appreciate (in the loosest sense of the word) that fact. It's just a case of context and boundaries.

...And lemme just slip in a terribly-timed total topic tangent, to this: I really, really think we could do better on those "like" button images (and would be happy to contribute). Yeah, uh, irrelevancy noted, back to the topic...

As I said, I acknowledge personal biases here. I also acknowledge my tendancies to see the extreme fringe cases as a standard as well as my general cynical outlook and predisposition to FUD. But I do think the mod team should chat about it at the very least.

Cheers,
- J

Last edited:
But I do think the mod team should chat about it at the very least.

Fair comment, James, and thanks. (dare I put a ;) )

We will be sure to monitor it and talk about it.

Chris

Does anyone else here get a spinal chill? I know linking to images, be it for whatever purpose (including emoji/emojies <-- what's the plural?) is covered by the ToS as it's "content", but I really think it'd be a good idea to establish some ground rules. I don't just mean size, that can be limited by auto-scaling (override BBCode), and I'm not talking explicit content either; I'm talking image spam. Unecessary bandwidth by 4MB animated GIFs, image-only replies, posts where each sentence ends in an image, etc. I can see this getting out of hand because I have seen it get out of hand before on a forum I used to frequent. Mods (a bit like here) were in short supply and struggled to keep mopping up and eventually an admin capped images completely until they could implement some restrictions on a software level. Give folks an inch, they take a mile.

Seriously...I think you have a problem with people having a little fun.
sad0020.gif

There are always going to be people who complain and whinge about anything they don't like
sad0016.gif
none of my Smilies have been rude or offensive...so what's your problem.
confused0024.gif

This is the friendly's Forum on the Net...I've been on other Forums that have nasty members and Mods too...who ban people for the least littlest things...it would be a very sad day indeed if this Forum goes down that same road.
m1510.gif

Seriously...I think you have a problem with people having a little fun.
sad0020.gif
The existing emojis are more then enough for a forum to keep it fun and I use them sometimes. Expanding to being able to use an emoji every other sentence or word would be just annoying and we have social media websites for that.

The existing emojis are more then enough for a forum to keep it fun and I use them sometimes. Expanding to being able to use an emoji every other sentence or word would be just annoying and we have social media websites for that.
Well that's your opinion and everyone is entitled to have one...instead of complaining about a few Smilies which isn't against the rules...it might be a good idea to complain about all the problems this Web Site is having.
sign0162.gif

I first opened that topic since I could not use them. But I learned how to use them, so I can say that my problem solved. But, I saw that banning/restricting() emojis become a trend topic My philosopyh in that new debate is "Find a solution other than banning". This reminds me the one of nine Linux philosophy in here, "Small is beautiful" : smileys are beatiful because they are small !

I used "Innocent emojis" term that means : no attack/offense etc. to any other's, both website and personel's, rights/rules and personal borders/lines etc. I like emojis and they bring a smile in my face because they are small but they try to tell/send me a real message! I think they are "a need" because they became an important part of an "internet culture".

When emojis first appeared in internet, internet saw an "emoji frenzy" everywhere! Why? Because in my opinion using a "pictorial art" is an ancient and powerful culture, like symbolism (like numerical numbers, letters etc.). But then, since people can use emojis in about everywhere, they become more content oriented. Because they get bored about their excessive uses! Technology brings lots of errors-exceptions-problems etc. and solving them is more important since lifes are more connected to solve these and other kinds of problems and learning more and more became more important. So priority level of emojis dropped to the fourth or fifth level, but never disappeared. When people find a solution to their problems, let them rejoice! They are the colors of forums/internet. I am agree to @bob466 :
This is the friendly's Forum on the Net...I've been on other Forums that have nasty members and Mods too...who ban people for the least littlest things..
I do not see any reason to ban/restrict innocent emojis. If the problem is bandwith, one can find a technological solution other than banning them! Maybe there can be "an option" in user profiles to save their bandwidths(if they need and I agree sometimes it can be really necessary), "remove gif images/emojis in posts" may be a user specific, in other words "personalized" solution!

Well that's your opinion and everyone is entitled to have one...instead of complaining about a few Smilies which isn't against the rules...it might be a good idea to complain about all the problems this Web Site is having.
sign0162.gif
I'm not saying I'm against emoji's when used every now and then. I'm against unnecessary and overuse of emoji's, as said before that is when emoji's are used every other sentence of every other word or repeated too much. Also if someone wants to use emoji's I rather have them using ones that aren't animated because the ones that are annimated just annoy me especially when in between a load of text I'm to understand what a person's problem or issues is they are having.

I would care less about how much someone used emoji's here if there was an option to to turn them off for the person that doesn't want to be bothered with them. Ending with if the posts in linux.org become so spammed with emoji's that it might as well be a social media website I will leave linux.org because I didn't join linux.org to have invested quite a bit of time in helping people to then having a normal forum turn into another social media type website to then have wasted my time here.

Last edited:

Staff online