[SOLVED] Deleted the Compose file at /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8

gabriel.ipc

Reaction score
Credits
Hey,

So, I am very new to Linux - in short, I installed Parrot OS.
Language is English and the keyboard layout is US international with dead keys (I need to type all sorts of accents and Latin characters).

Only problem - when I was typing '+c I kept getting "ć" instead of "ç". All other accents and characters and layout worked perfectly.
I started to dig the issue on the internet and then I decided to make changes in the file:

/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose\

Well, I kind of screwed it, hardly even knowing what I was doing to be honest.
I though, all right, I might just delete the file altogether and reboot, the system is probably going to see it is missing and recreate it all new.

$ rm -rf
$ reboot

Now I'm really screwed, the system didn´t add it back, and all dead keys, accents, Latin characters, I just cannot use any at all.
Well, digging the internet I tried:

$ sudo apt --reinstall install libx11-dev

no luck.

I even found this: https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libX11/i18n/compose/en_US.UTF-8.html
I though, ah, fine, let's just copy it and create the file again:

$ nano Compose (in the correct directory)

Then ctrl+shit+v

saved, exited, reboot.

no luck again

I just thought, well, I might just reinstall the entire distro and give another try at solving the "ç" problem, it is just it felt kind of extreme and... kind of giving up hahaha

I am sorry for all the insane newbie thinking and messing around I did.

Any kind soul out there to help me get the compose file back?

Thank you all very very much!

If nobody else can help you, and reinstalling isn't in your cards for today...

Can you still switch to a new keyboard layout?

If so, US Intl w/ AltGr dead keys does what you're looking for. Your 'AltGr' key is your right alt and there's also a shift modifier. It'll take you a minute or two to get used to it, but I find it an easier layout in the long run.

For example: ç

KGII, thank you very much for your reply!

I found from another forum that the package libx11-data will bring the Compose file back for the distro I use.

$ sudo apt --reinstall install libx11-data
$reboot
That did the trick.

About changing layout, yeah, I might end up doing it. I will dig a bit further to seek out a solution yet, If I find anything that works I will post back here!

Like mentioned, I like my keyboard layout. I've used it for a long time, so I'm used to it.

Here's some output, moving left to right and down.

¹²³¤€’¥×¬áßðfghïœø¶ǽœ©®bñµç

With the SHIFT key modifier:

¡½¾¦÷ÄÅÉËÞÜÚÍÓÖ“”Á§ÐFGHόذŒ¢®BѵÇ

Those cover my needs. Your needs may vary.

Managed to solve my cedilla problem:
$ sudo gedit ~/.XCompose

This will create an empty file in the home directory called XCompose and open it for you to edit.

In the file copy and paste:

include "%S/en_US.UTF-8/Compose"
<dead_acute> <C> : "Ç"
<dead_acute> <c> : "ç"

Save it, then:
$ reboot

After that whenever one types '+c he'll get "ç"!

I might be wrong, but I think this XCompose file makes preferential key sequences for the keyboard. I'm guessing that first line is basically telling the file to use all the sequences in the file /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose except when conflicted by the following key sequences bellow it.

Well well, took some time, but it is now working like magic!

Staff online