[SOLVED] 16gb usb drive shows only 8mb space

Hi again,

I had given up the hope to solve the issue so I decided to f*ck around to know more.

I started exploring articles about how to recover data. I came across the below article.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/top-best-linux-data-recovery-tools

I started using tools mentioned in the article.

As mentioned in earlier posts, it was clear that there was problem with partition table and usb was not corrupted as cat command reveled that block size was 16384 (I think it means 16*1024mb=16384MB=16GB).

So I used ddrescue and changed the structure using other articles but it did not solved the problem.

Then I came across below article

https://www.easytutorial.com/flash-usb-drive.html

I followed it and it solved my problem. It did not recover the data but is allowed me to use the flash drive again.

I am no technical expert so I could not understand information reveled using ddrescue tool and could not recover the data but I am sure experts can. I think in problems of corrupted usb, ssd and hdd devices, ddrescue tool can definately give some insight to define the issue, which can allow to lay the strategy to troubleshoot the issue.

I hope this information can help to solve such problems in future.

Thanks to all of you again.:)

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

If you like, you can go the your first Post on page 1, and top right hand side click edit to add to the title.

[SOLVED]

Enjoy your Linux.

Wizard

Some days you see something of concern, but lack the proof and the confidence to raise those concerns. I am facing that now. I do not like to jump to conclusions. I do not like to raise unnecessary alarms, and I fear that I am doing just that now.

I followed the "Easy Tutorial" link above to see what was there.
  • The tutorial directs you to download a file from a Russian website.
  • The file is a password-protected .rar file.
    • It cannot be scanned by your ISP, your firewall, the anti-malware on your computer, etc.
    • I cannot easily come up with a reasonable and plausible explanation for why a password is necessary.
  • The password to unlock the file is helpfully included in the tutorial.
    • That same password has remained unchanged for at least two years.
    • Why wouldn't the file owner be concerned that everyone on the internet downloads the file and knows the password?
    • Why has the password remained unchanged?
  • I created a throwaway testbed system and used it to extract (un-rar) the file.
    • The output was a single Windows .exe executable file.
    • There no other files, README, license, documentation or any other files; only the .exe file.
  • I scanned the extracted .exe file at VirusTotal.com and 6 sources flagged it as containing malicious software.
    • Only 6 sources flagged it. I would have expected more.
    • None of the six sources were anti-malware products that I recognized.
  • A web search revealed:
    • The .exe file is closed source.
    • Multiple different copies (with different hashes) of the same version of the application showed up in searches, and people discussing the issue.
    • Others shared my concerns about malware.
  • The .exe replaces the firmware on USB flash drives.
    • That USB firmware is closed source, I presume.
    • USB firmware has been used as a malware vector method.
There are reasonable explanations for everything I wrote above. Viewed as a totality, I have decided to post my concerns here. It is probably all good but ... If I were @andydas1947, I would run malware checks on my Windows computer and anything that the USB drive has been used on.

My apologies to everyone if my concerns turn out to be unwarranted. :-(

Last edited:
Brilliant piece of work @sphen

I, for one, appreciate the input you have given

A russian website is the first red flag......and it all goes downhill from there.

• The output was a single Windows .exe executable file.
    • There no other files, README, license, documentation or any other files; only the .exe file.
So, an .exe file

I would most interested to hear from the OP if that was the case he encountered, and if so, just exactly how did he/she run such a file on a Linux, or, did he open it in windows. ?

If in windows, then there is every chance he is infected.

I just wanna mention this...

Not ALL software from Russia is malware, just like not all software from the US is infected by an NSA backdoor.

Like, the greatest software firewall ever created was made by Agnitum and was called Outpost. Of course, they were later sold to a company with ties to the old KGB - but *until then* they were pretty reputable!

Edit: I should also mention that OP's post was 'cleared for publication' by me. It wasn't overly political and seemed to be legitimate concern.

A russian website is the first red flag.
I stand by that statement.....overall, the presence of a website from that area of the world will give rise to hesitation.
When it is followed by its 'content' being a password-protected .rar file.....which cannot be scanned by you ISP, nor your FIREWALL. ??!!

In no way am I attempting to make this a political put down.
The website could be based in outer woop woop for all I care.......but the very fact that it contains crap of the nature outlined by @sphen, and repeated by me leaves it wide open to be looked at, examined critically with no thought or concession given to its country of origin.

leaves it wide open to be looked at, examined critically with no thought or concession given to its country of origin.

Abso-freaken-lutely.

I am so glad you used one of my favourite words.....-freaken-....

If in windows, then there is every chance he [@andydas1947] is infected.

-> I agree that @andydas1947 should carefully inspect his Windows systems for malware, and also check any systems where he has inserted the USB drive with the updated firmware on it.

The reason for this post is to re-emphasize a few points:
  • I want to emphasize my caution again:
    -> Do not to jump to any conclusions.
  • I have seen multiple indications that this is not malicious.
    • I was VERY reluctant to post my warning because of them.
    • They are why I flagged my own post and asked for moderator review. It was not out of political concerns.
    • I posted because of the number of concurrent red flags that I saw.
      • One stood out more than others: the lack of information about the USB firmware updates themselves.
        -> That is partly on me - I did not take the time to follow up or learn more about it.
      • USB firmware can be used as vector for malware. It is very difficult to detect or eliminate. It can be very persistent, since it is not on the bootable drive.
  • I caution others not to conflate "Russian website" with "Russian software."
    • Both may be factors to consider, but they are different.
    • I have made no statement about the origin of the executable software.
      (I made only a cursory check and found nothing worth reporting.)
  • The download website domain is registered in Russia (.ru).
    • It is a security consideration, that's all.
    • There is nothing political to see here. The thought never occurred to me.

I am so glad you used one of my favourite words.....-freaken-....
I do not like "freaken" or "freakin" and similar substitutes for vulgarity. Either say (or write) the word or don't. I prefer "don't", given a choice.

(Edit much later: Clarified opening statement and removed amplifying statements with potentially political content, per the comment from @KGIII below.)

Last edited:
Friendly Reminder: Politics is strictly off limits.

Thanks to all for their inputs.

There were two different softwares I used to know more about vid, pid and other info of usb drive.

First I followed the below article and there I found Chip genius. Which was cleared by anti virus.

https://superuser.com/questions/1517269/8gb-usb-drive-shows-8mb-size-cant-format

Then I followed another article which I had mentioned earlier and found viruses in it. I took care of it.

Here is another article where I found Kingston Format utility.

http://www.flashdrive-repair.com/20...o-format-Phison-PS2251-50-or-Phison-UP19.html

Now my usb shows 16GB/14.95GiB. (Apperently usb manufacturer claim data capacity in Gigabyte and computer calculates it in Gigibyte)

After reading opinions of other members, I am scanning my win10 with diff. antivirus utilities.

I use win 10 only if I need it, otherwise I am using MX linux as my main os.

I am also digging deep into structure of data devices. Testdisk utility is helping a lot.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Please advice me about any other things I need to look in to.

Members online