Smart TV streaming device market share worldwide: Operating systems.

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
1637197561210.png

Interesting to see Tizen there. As memory serves, it's a 'mobile' OS that's actually Linux-based. They've been around for a while, though I hadn't heard their name much in the past 5 years. People were pretty optimistic when it first came out. Well, the people on Slashdot were pretty optimistic, which is saying something 'cause they're almost never optimistic.

bringing back vhs....dont hold your breath.

I have an LG 4K OLED tv which uses WebOS, quite happy with it.

@f33dm3bits, do you consider the use of WebOS to be a spyware risk ?

@f33dm3bits, do you consider the use of WebOS to be a spyware risk ?
I wasn't going to respond to that because I know what @SpongebobFan1994 's opinion is on BigTech, it doesn't have to be brought up in almost every topic. I run pihole in my home network and force all the devices to use that as dns server. I don't see any evidence of WebOS phoning home but that doesn't mean it has another way of doing so.
2021-11-18_08_21_52.jpeg

Last edited:
I use Roku

I should clarify what I meant. Thankfully, many of these platforms are either custom Linux distros or based on the kernel. Although many of them are also open-source, they often (but not always) come with some kind of proprietary software built-in because the company has a patent on the platform itself. One way this can be spyware is the platform's proprietary algorithm knowing what you're watching in order to recommend you something else. You don't have this problem with physical media, because only you know what media you're consuming. Because these smart devices are IoT devices by their very design, hackers are able to remotely access them by finding or creating exploits. You don't have this problem with non-smart TVs, DVD players, VCRs, or older game consoles because they're not designed to connect to the internet.

Although many of them are also open-source, they often (but not always) come with some kind of proprietary software built-in because the company has a patent on the platform itself. One way this can be spyware is the platform's proprietary algorithm knowing what you're watching in order to recommend you something else. You don't have this problem with physical media, because only you know what media you're consuming.
An alternative option is to self-host a mediaserver which doesn't have an affiliation with a company, such as Jellyfin However I have tried both Jellyfin and Emby and neither can currently beat Plex although Plex is propietary and Emby partially propietary and partially opensource. Physical media has other problems, but I won't mention them here because that's another topic.

Last edited:
Thankfully, many of these platforms are either custom Linux distros or based on the kernel.
As a matter of fact, most smart TVs use some kind of Linux based OS, meaning, the people behind them used the Linux kernel and built their own OS to work with their devices. The main purpose of the post, is to point that neither apple, Microsoft nor even android(google)have any significant relevance here, and that actually people prefer to use something else, and it just so happens that "something else" is Linux. :) Tho, I'm curious as to what "others" mean in that chart, since it seems to be what most people use.
Interesting to see Tizen there. As memory serves, it's a 'mobile' OS that's actually Linux-based
According to that post, and what I've read, newer Samsung TVs use it.

The main purpose of the post, is to point that neither apple, Microsoft nor even android(google)have any significant relevance here, and that actually people prefer to use something else, and it just so happens that "something else" is Linux. :)

When you put it that way, that's good to know. Lets hope those same people are either running Linux on their desktops already, in the process of doing so, or at least checking it out.

webOS is opensource as well.

Latest posts