Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

Slackware

Discussion in 'Slackware' started by VP9KS, May 9, 2017.

1. VP9KS

VP9KS Active Member

A few more tidbits on customizing Slackware:

If you like to auto-hide the task bar, like I do, right-click on it, select panel options, panel settings, more settings, and auto-hide.

To change the desktop wallpaper, right-click on the desktop, select default desktop options, and click on the image desired. You can also select just about any image on your hard drive, to use as wallpaper, by clicking on the open button at the bottom right corner of the screen, and selecting the folder and file.

Happy trails:)
    Paul

2. VP9KS

VP9KS Active Member

One of the new packages included in the Slackware 14.2 installation is called "Marble - Virtual Globe". It is similar to Google Earth, although the resolution is not as good. One cool thing about it is the "Historical Map 1689" view. Another cool thing about it is that if you zoom way out, the constellations are depicted as they face the earth.

3. VP9KS

VP9KS Active Member

One of the interesting options in Slackware is to customize the kernel to your own needs, thus making it smaller and more compact. You start by loading the "huge" kernel at installation, then, as you gain knowledge of the system, you consider jumping into the kernel with both feet. This is done by opening a terminal in /usr/src/linux. If you just open a terminal window, you will have difficulty getting there. Instead, open your file manager, and right click on /usr/src/linux, and select open a terminal here. Issue the command make menuconfig. Then there are many decisions to make about just what you want to include in your kernel. This is as far as I have gone as yet, but I got interrupted before I was finished, so I did not save my work. I will try again later.

According to what I have read, once you are finished you issue the command "make" then "make modules_install". The new kernel should be in /arc/i386/boot.

We will see just how easy it really is. From the looks of it, it may take a week to go through all the options before making the new kernel. Anyway, if I bork it completely, I can always re-install and try again. (and again, and again, and .....:p:p)

Happy trails,
    Paul

4. VP9KS

VP9KS Active Member

For anyone interested in seeing what this looks like, I saved the output from my last update to a text file. The menu part after the upgrade-all command is displayed with a blue background.

Happy trails,:)
    Paul

Attached Files:

5. VP9KS

VP9KS Active Member

Well, I mucked about long enough, and I finally stumbled upon the answer to the burning question that has haunted me for a long time:

How the hell do you set up the system sounds in Slackware (KDE)?:confused::confused:

First, if you have any sound files that you wish to use, (waves, etc.) copy them to the /usr/share/sounds folder.

Next, in the systems settings, select Application and System Notifications.
    The right side of the screen shows the events listed in the Accessibility event source.
    Pull down the menu that Accessibility is listed in, and select the event source that you need. In my case it was KDE Workspace.
    There is a state column for each event. Highlight the event you wish to set up, and at the bottom of the screen check Play a sound. There will be a sound shown to the right, along with a play button, and a drop down menu used to select the sound you wish to assign to that title. Once you select the sound you want, you can press the play button to hear it. You can also select Show a message in a popup for each title.
    When you have all your sounds set up, press the Apply button at the bottom right to save your changes.

Happy trails,:):):p
    Paul

#45 VP9KS, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    atanere likes this.