Slackware 15 Fresh Install of Pale Moon Browser

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Just installed Pale Moon on my Slackware 15 installation.

Runs well and is fast. There's a learning curve if you are used to FF.

For an ad blocker there's a add on called Ad Block Latitude. If you can't stand those blinding white web pages you'll have to install the add on called: Swarth.

It's in the SlackBuilds repo if you want to install it.
Heads up, there are 3 different tar.gz's that have to be downloaded and the md5's have to be checked.
And you have to be the administrator or user running it in order to update it.
Also, the script takes a while, I think about 10 minutes.

HTH

Pale Moon Update screenshot-

Attachments

• Pale Moon Update.png
    Pale Moon Update.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 86
I do like Pale Moon quite a bit, but it stopped properly rendering a couple of important sites. So, I can no longer use it, but I'll give the new version a test. Thanks.

I do like Pale Moon quite a bit, but it stopped properly rendering a couple of important sites. So, I can no longer use it, but I'll give the new version a test. Thanks.
You're welcome:-

In particular this web browser cannot handle Github "releases/assets" page. So cannot download the majority of stuff from there. (Originally it was going to be "none of the" instead of "majority".)

Also the fishy way the browser was set up, right from the package to install it obtained directly from their site. Included a link to one suspicious site somewhere in northern Europe...

I have a copy backed up to keep totally offline to be able to read HTML documents.

Palemoon worked for me only at the very beginning.
Currently only usingFF and (out of curiosity) Librewolf. chrome derivatives are too problematic.
"In particular this web browser cannot handle Github "releases/assets" page" - looks like javascript blocked. Maybe it is posdible to revert either from about:config or disable temporary plugin that manages javascript.

LibreWolf is a solid browser choice but I have no technical issues with the various Chromium browsers.

Librewolf appimage has been a very robust browser used daily here on debian. Downloaded from here:
The users here upgrade it manually, not automatically, so they visit the site intermittently and upgrade at their leisure.

With palemoon, I found that it's the GTK2 version that works better from here:
I run the browser from the unpacked tarball which is run from it's own directory in the user's home directory outside of the debian package manager. Although the debian installation has GTK3 installed, palemoon's GTK3 version would freeze the screen intermittently, became unrecoverable and had to be killed. I haven't investigated the problem, rather selected the GTK2 version and found it worked as intended.

LibreWolf is a solid browser choice but I have no technical issues with the various Chromium browsers.
because chromium ungoogled is leaking DNS, Brave require analytics removal and so on.
I like Librewolf: in has uBlock origin installed with Actually Legitimate Shortened Tool filter and after adding Privacy Badger I am all set.
I gave up on PaleMoon very long time ago.

Librewolf appimage has been a very robust browser used daily here on debian. Downloaded from here:
The users here upgrade it manually, not automatically, so they visit the site intermittently and upgrade at their leisure.

With palemoon, I found that it's the GTK2 version that works better from here:
I run the browser from the unpacked tarball which is run from it's own directory in the user's home directory outside of the debian package manager. Although the debian installation has GTK3 installed, palemoon's GTK3 version would freeze the screen intermittently, became unrecoverable and had to be killed. I haven't investigated the problem, rather selected the GTK2 version and found it worked as intended.
So you download the tar.bz, untar it and run it directly from the main folder of Pale Moon's directory?

it is up to you, I installed Librewolf with sbopkg (I assume that you have sbo installed). Latest Librewolf is at ver. 120.
If you don't know, sbo is an extra repository for Slackware. Apps are installed from Slackbuilds, but you don't have to download anything just run it.

Last edited:
So you download the tar.bz, untar it and run it directly from the main folder of Pale Moon's directory?
Yes, but I also have a script that makes it more convenient to run it from any terminal. The specifics are as follows:

In my home directory I have a directory called "browsers". In that directory, I place the palemoon gzipped tarball, and decompress it and untar it with the one tar command:
Code:
tar zJvf palemoon-32.5.1.linux-x86_64-gtk2.tar.xz
It creates a directory named palemoon, where all the data of the program is stored. Note that it's the GTK2 version.

The browser can be started by entering the palemoon directory and running:
Code:
./palemoon
That file is the executable, and will run the browser.

For convenience, I have a small script which is placed in /home/<user>/bin, which will start the browser from any terminal. The script is named "palemoon" and has the following contents:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# this is a script for to start a browser startup executable
#
cd /home/<user>/browsers/palemoon
./palemoon &

Of course the user needs to have a /home/<user>/bin directory which is not always the default in installations.

Note that this is outside the package manager's view and totally within the /home user space. To upgrade, one needs to do that manually. Some browsers will send a message to the screen if there is an upgraded version available, and palemoon does that when you open it and a new version has been added to their website. Some other browsers don't, so you need to visit their download pages if you run these programs manually. To upgrade, one simply removes the old and replaces it with the new.

you can just put it in a one line
cd /home/user/browsers/palemoon && ./palemoon &

nevertheless I would suggest to download and install sbopkg. A lot of useful stuff there
download latest version and install:
installpkg sbopkg-version-noarch-1_wsr.tgz
next run sudo sbopkg
sync search and install software you want

Last edited:
Yes, a one liner is fine, but you do need a space between "./palemoon" and "&" at the end :)

Yes, but I also have a script that makes it more convenient to run it from any terminal. The specifics are as follows:

In my home directory I have a directory called "browsers". In that directory, I place the palemoon gzipped tarball, and decompress it and untar it with the one tar command:
Code:
tar zJvf palemoon-32.5.1.linux-x86_64-gtk2.tar.xz
It creates a directory named palemoon, where all the data of the program is stored. Note that it's the GTK2 version.

The browser can be started by entering the palemoon directory and running:
Code:
./palemoon
That file is the executable, and will run the browser.

For convenience, I have a small script which is placed in /home/<user>/bin, which will start the browser from any terminal. The script is named "palemoon" and has the following contents:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# this is a script for to start a browser startup executable
#
cd /home/<user>/browsers/palemoon
./palemoon &

Of course the user needs to have a /home/<user>/bin directory which is not always the default in installations.

Note that this is outside the package manager's view and totally within the /home user space. To upgrade, one needs to do that manually. Some browsers will send a message to the screen if there is an upgraded version available, and palemoon does that when you open it and a new version has been added to their website. Some other browsers don't, so you need to visit their download pages if you run these programs manually. To upgrade, one simply removes the old and replaces it with the new.
I'll give it a spin when I'm off of work. Thanks!

I'll give it a spin when I'm off of work. Thanks!
If you run palemoon as suggested, palemoon will create in your home directory a dotfile directory as follows:
Code:
/home/<user>/'.moonchild productions'/
This is similar to firefox, in which case the directory begins as:
Code:
/home/<user>/.mozilla/
If you follow down the directories to the data files you get to where all the cookies, history, extensions and heaps of other files are gathered which hold the user's configurations and data for the browser, in case you need to see them or alter them.

If you wish to delete the browser altogether, you would delete the directory where it was untarred, and it's as well to delete the dotfiles directory and its contents too. Then it's all gone.

However, if one is upgrading the browser by deleting just the old directory in:
Code:
/home/<user>/browsers/palemoon/
and installing from the new tarball, there's no need to touch the dotfile directory as the newly installed palemoon will use it, using the same configurations as the user has set before. The configurations can be altered in the normal way through the "Preferences" options, and the "about:config" variables.

Members online

Latest posts