Since yesterday I can't access download.opensuse.org and they say it's not their problem

P.P.S. I don't know how how that line came there, maybe it is used by the first update after initial install, when tne network service is not yet fully up to date.

…and maybe it is a "stale" address which used to be correct, but openSUSE recently had problems with their servers and switched over to other (backup etc.) servers at the new address — who knows? Anyway, with that line removed, any future address change for that server will be recognised by my network service.

who knows? Anyway, with that line removed, any future address change for that server will be recognised by my network service.
I was just curious but glad that it works. The dns servers configured on your system should resolve all dns names, but if something is defined in /etc/hosts it will have precedence over dns resolving. So yes that is correct if that ip adress changes in the future for download.opensuse.org it will be automatically resolved by the dns servers.

Last edited:
I just went to spin up a Tumbleweed VM and it tries to connect to that URL at the start of the installation process. (Perhaps because it's an older version of Tumbleweed, downloaded months ago.)

It refused to resolve that URL.

Unfortunately, the environment didn't allow any troubleshooting. I was unable to verify anything but it wouldn't surprise me if this was something included by default and that the IP address has since changed.

No, I have no idea why they'd include that by default.

Members online