Settings not saving on BIOS hardware Config...

Nao57

Reaction score
Credits
So I have a question.

I installed Linux a few months ago. Works. Like it. Efficient. But 1 small problem. its a problem that I can work through but it loses time on the start up. So when I go to start up the computer in the morning after plugging it in, it will at first give me an error and not be able to find the OS. I have to then restart it and then hit F2 to go into the BIOS area. There's an area there on the OS or hardware config where I have to tell it to uncheck the windows box and then load Ubuntu's bios config first. (Using Mint Cinnamon.) After I do that I hit save then exit. Then I can start up the OS fine.

BUT as soon as I turn it off or unplug it, I'll have to go redo what I just saved all over again the next time I turn it on. For some reason even though I saved the configuration it still 'forget's.

Not sure why its doing this or how to fix?

Replace the CMOS battery. It's a watch cell on the motherboard. It's most commonly a CR 2023.

Check the cmos battery for its type....eg CR2032 is very common.

Replace the CMOS battery. It's a watch cell on the motherboard. It's most commonly a CR 2023.

Exactly...same thing happened to me a few years ago.

The CMOS battery holds all system configuration settings...so if it fails you know what happens.
m1512.gif

You can re-set CMOS if you make a mistake in the BIOS settings back in the day...not sure about UEFI...
https://www.maketecheasier.com/how-to-reset-cmos-and-why/
When my Motherboard failed...I tried re-setting CMOS just in case it was the battery unfortunately it wasn't that...would have been so much cheaper.
m1520.gif

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts